No announcement yet.

351 Cleveland swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not see many Cleveland builds at all around here; they're pretty unusual.

I am wondering why folks build 'Clevor' engines, really. Why not just build a Cleveland? Parts availability?
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by ford man View Post
      uh? 300 hp cleveland? Back what up? Your talking about a cam and intake to get to 300 hp... How much does that cost?
      Um, potentially quite a bit depending on parts used? I'm thinking $300-400 for the cam, $300-400 for linkbar lifters, $150-$300 for intake, up to several hundred for a suitable carb .... right, plus rockers, studs, and pushrods. So probably as little as $400-500 total with cheap parts up to in excess of $2500 total.

If you want to talk about a horsepower number for a certain amount of money, I thought the usual thing was to say "here's everything I spent, and here's what a dyno said I made for power and/or what number I turned in what vehicle on a dragstrip". Me, I don't talk horsepower numbers any more, because all the "data" I have are Desktop Dyno charts.

As suggested, I imagine there are lots of good Cleveland-build articles and probably even forum threads, but I've not personally seen any that I can remember, and the people I know of doing modern engine builds seem to always start with a Windsor and use, as Ed points out, aftermarket heads. Maybe one of you Cleveland experts would be so good as to refer the rest of us to some sources that reflect actual cost and results for a Cleveland build versus a comparable Windsor build?
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post

I am wondering why folks build 'Clevor' engines, really. Why not just build a Cleveland? Parts availability?
        My personal experience with Clevelands centered around my old boss trying to find a good block for a customer's blower build. Had to be an actual Cleveland, apparently, but kept finding blocks that weren't useful. One pre-assembled "blower" shortblock was disassembled and sonic-checked by an engine shop and determined to have inadequate wall thickness, and at least two bone-stock engines were disassembled to find huge pits in at least one cylinder wall. Those blocks both got recycled IIRC. So based on that limited info, I'd guess that block availability is a biggie.

Comment

huge crank bearing diameter limits high rpm use, questionable oilling system design are two reasons i know of to not use a cleveland, however the heads flow very well and have huge valves, but modern aftermarket windsor heads flow as well or better
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
            Um, potentially quite a bit depending on parts used? I'm thinking $300-400 for the cam, $300-400 for linkbar lifters, $150-$300 for intake, up to several hundred for a suitable carb .... right, plus rockers, studs, and pushrods. So probably as little as $400-500 total with cheap parts up to in excess of $2500 total.

If you want to talk about a horsepower number for a certain amount of money, I thought the usual thing was to say "here's everything I spent, and here's what a dyno said I made for power and/or what number I turned in what vehicle on a dragstrip". Me, I don't talk horsepower numbers any more, because all the "data" I have are Desktop Dyno charts.

As suggested, I imagine there are lots of good Cleveland-build articles and probably even forum threads, but I've not personally seen any that I can remember, and the people I know of doing modern engine builds seem to always start with a Windsor and use, as Ed points out, aftermarket heads. Maybe one of you Cleveland experts would be so good as to refer the rest of us to some sources that reflect actual cost and results for a Cleveland build versus a comparable Windsor build?
            Ok, everything you mentioned in your potential build, would cost the same for a windsor... right? I don't know why you would need linkbar lifters at 300 hp though... nice to have a roller motor, but at 300 hp not necessary.

I don't think I was talking a horsepower number for a certain amount of money. I said a cleveland shouldn't cost more to build than a windsor at 300 hp. How much it would be to be to build a cleveland or windsor to 300 hp, I didn't say. Horsepower is a frame of reference... I don't know how you could talk about engines and not mention horsepower.

I'm not sure where your trying to go with this discussion. That I don't have a dyno sheet? That if I had a cleveland I owned that needed rebuilding, I should trade it for a windsor and buy some aftermarket heads?

I guess I thought is it was understandable that clevelands have much better heads and performance than a windsor when you do a affordable stock rebuild to either. I don't know why the cleveland would be more to rebuild than the windsor, do you?

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf View Post
              huge crank bearing diameter limits high rpm use, questionable oilling system design are two reasons i know of to not use a cleveland, however the heads flow very well and have huge valves, but modern aftermarket windsor heads flow as well or better
              I think you might be thinking of the 400 351m with the huge bearing diameters. From what I've read, the oiling system is questionable only after 500 hp and lots of rpm. No I don't have a link to back that up, just making a comment.

Clevelands love rpm. Proof? Nascar. They weren't windsors under the hood of ford stock cars.

Comment

351Cs must have been common locally back in the day. Whenever I talk to older car guy about Fords he asks if my car is a 351, Cleveland or Windsor, and then they'll talk about the old Cleveland they used to run and how much they wish they still had it.
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

yes they were common in 70-74 cars......the 2v engine being more common

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by ford man View Post
                    I said a cleveland shouldn't cost more to build than a windsor at 300 hp.
                    Sounds like you're at least trying to establish a point of comparison, though, so that's hard to follow though with unless we put down examples and ask how much they cost.

Not meaning to pick on you in particular, but lots of folks have a tendency to make wild claims of "xxx horsepower is easy and cheap if you start with yyy" without anything to back themselves up, or better yet, with no more experience than I have. On the more extreme side, the implication could be interpreted to be that if you get the motor free and throw new rings and bearings at it for $75 or $100 and stick in a $50 Summit or PAW cam you'll instantly be making a HP number people will respect. Hopefully no one actually thinks that, but it's good not to sound that way either.

And now I'll shut up and see if smarter folks than myself have edumacational factoids to share about 335-series engines.

Comment

On the more extreme side, the implication could be interpreted to be that if you get the motor free and throw new rings and bearings at it for $75 or $100 and stick in a $50 Summit or PAW cam you'll instantly be making a HP number people will respect. Hopefully no one actually thinks that, but it's good not to sound that way either.
                      That is exactly what can be done with a Cleveland. I will refer you once again the Boss 351 build above.
                      About 10 years ago I got a 351C 4V motor on trade. I honed the cylinders, put in fresh rings and bearings and ran a flat tappet Crane cam and the factory iron intake. The arrticle above mentions that it used an exact replica of the Boss 351 camshaft. This cam had only .477 lift and 290 duration. It being a solid lifter camshaft helps. My cam was a hydraulic lifter with more lift and near exact duration. (.526/.536, 288/292)
                      With a stock FMX tranny which slipped from 2nd to 3rd gears in a 1973 Mustang and 3.50 gears it ran low 14s. This was no light Fox bodied Mustang.

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf View Post
                        the heads flow very well and have huge valves, but modern aftermarket windsor heads flow as well or better
                        It takes a set of Victor Jr heads to out flow a 351C 4V head. If you look at NMRA rules, 351C heads are banned from many classes while many Windsor aftermarket aluminum heads are allowed. The average aluminum Windsor head can not hold a light to a Cleveland 4V head.

Comment

Question for you, Ed.

If I want to build a windsor stroker (408), and squeeze as much power as possible out of it, would a Clevor be a better alternative to a traditional windsor head build?

If I choose to go the Ford route for my engine build, I want to make the most of it, obviously. Originally I was thinking a traditional Windsor 408, forged rotating assembly (looked at DSS, FordStrokers, and a few others; probably have it done locally), and a set of AFR 205s/225s, or maybe a similar offering from a different brand.

Are you saying that a similar bottom end (with the necessary pistons, etc to run Cleveland heads), with the Trick Flow Cleveland heads would make more power than traditional Windsor heads of the same caliber?

Aside from a few small details, it really seems like this might be the way to go. There isn't much involved with doing a Clevor build, from what I have read.

The exhaust is a concern, but I was intending on a set of custom long tubes for any build that I do, anyway.
                          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Maybe one of you Cleveland experts would be so good as to refer the rest of us to some sources that reflect actual cost and results for a Cleveland build versus a comparable Windsor build?
                            There is simply no comparable Windsor build unless you get at the minimum a set of Twisted Wedge cylinder heads for free and those will not match peak flow numbers.

Comment

Any pictures of the business end of a set of 351C heads?
                              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Question for you, Ed.
                                If I want to build a windsor stroker (408), and squeeze as much power as possible out of it, would a Clevor be a better alternative to a traditional windsor head build?
                                If I choose to go the Ford route for my engine build, I want to make the most of it, obviously. Originally I was thinking a traditional Windsor 408, forged rotating assembly (looked at DSS, FordStrokers, and a few others; probably have it done locally), and a set of AFR 205s/225s, or maybe a similar offering from a different brand.
                                Are you saying that a similar bottom end (with the necessary pistons, etc to run Cleveland heads), with the Trick Flow Cleveland heads would make more power than traditional Windsor heads of the same caliber?
                                Aside from a few small details, it really seems like this might be the way to go. There isn't much involved with doing a Clevor build, from what I have read.
                                The exhaust is a concern, but I was intending on a set of custom long tubes for any build that I do, anyway.
                                You are talking a serious build and not just using factory parts someone has laying around. I don't have a cookie cutter answer for you on this one. I can't make a blanket statement regarding a high end build as there are many factors. I have seen stupid power made with Windsor style heads from Edelbrock and AFR. You are stepping way beyond a budget build and both routes can get you to your goals. You are at the point that a factory 351W block may not hold your parts inside for long....

Comment

Working...
                                X