No announcement yet.

Electric Water Pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I figured I would run this by you guys to see if an electric water pump is feasible on the street. I'll probably stick with a good mechanical pump when the time comes. Thanks guys.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
      Why don't you ask scott about the electric fan on his '92 Grand Marquis. Every time it comes on the lights dim.
      oh dear me oh my, i ment that as a joke mang
      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Lots of the guys on the turbomustangs forum run them on the street. An easy way to deal with the pulleys would be to switch to mustang aftermarket front acc. They sell bracket kits just for the electric pump. Not sure I would use one on a daily, but I would definetly use on one a weekend cruiser/strip car. The cool down time advantage in the pits would be great. It takes about 20 min for my guage to bottom out on the marq with a single 14" pusher fan. Of course I only wait that long between runs if I am going for a fast pass and want it as cool as possible. But to be able to do it in 5 min would help with getting a car tuned in as you would be able to make more passes with less cool down between.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
        Big plans

Comment

Problem with using the Mustang accessories is moving the AC compressor. Not only do you have to deal with making custom lines, they run right across where the throttle body is. Not really a problem if you're doing an AC delete, but just something to keep in mind if you're hard set on retaining full climate controls.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well I would think if you're wanting the extra power from an electric pump it won't be on a car with a/c in most cases.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
            Big plans

Comment

A/C is not a problem for me if I were going to use an electric pump.

Packman

Comment

Not a problem for you, but what does your mom have to say about it? It is her car right? If she's anything like my mother, there's no way in hell the AC can be sacrificed for 5 hp.

Its all about goals. Mine have never involved going as fast as possible and getting every bit of power out of an engine. They do involve getting where I want to go without discomfort or concern about whether the car is going to break on the way there. To that end I have working AC and a fresh driveline thats anything but radical. Its also why my car does low 16 second quarter miles.
                Last edited by gadget73; 01-13-2011, 07:10 PM.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My mom is different in that respect. She HATES the cold. Our curse (no working a/c in any of our cars) is her gift. She worked at a job that had the a/c on all year round because there was no way of circulating the air in the building. In the summer she would go outside to warm up. She absorbs heat like a metroid.

The fact that the previous owner of her CV literally ripped the a/c out of the car doesn't bother her; I don't think she even acknowledges its absence. If an electric water pump was found to work on a DD, I could easily justify installing one on whatever engine that replaces the lopo.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                  X