No announcement yet.

BBF 460 in a Box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can afford the initial cost of installation, a mild build 460 is 450+HP and low to mid 12s NA easily.... Nobody is going to use EFI 460 heads. They are better used for ballast. Early 429/460 heads are still cheap and plentiful. Even the common D3AE head will get you 450HP with little work.
    Any respectable Cleveland 4V head build is over 400HP.
    Most people posting do not have the cash to build a dedicated drag car and are simply hopping up their grocery getters. This is why the 351W is king. Easy bolt in with factory or easily attainable inexpensive aftermarket parts and near 400HP without even trying.

Comment

With my new tranny I should be high 14's with a stock H.O. 302 from a mustang. Cold air intake, headers, 2.5" exhaust, 4.30 gears and a/c, smog, delete with an electric fan. The actual engine is bone stock from tb to oil pan, never even had the valve cover off.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
      Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
        Nobody is going to use EFI 460 heads. They are better used for ballast. .
        I am curious about this statement - Do you mean stock EFI 460 heads (if such a thing existed) or that you wouldn't go EFI on a 460? Sorry I'm a confused n00b about this.

Someone please do a twin turbo 460 stroker.
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
          With my new tranny I should be high 14's with a stock H.O. 302 from a mustang. Cold air intake, headers, 2.5" exhaust, 4.30 gears and a/c, smog, delete with an electric fan. The actual engine is bone stock from tb to oil pan, never even had the valve cover off.
          What does your car weigh? with or without you in it
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

there's an idea of what a 460 looks under the hood. belongs to forum member Mustang Bob. he also has a 427w in a wagon i think
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
              engine is still making good power up to almost 6000RPM, though I don't know whether a 460 would survive those RPMs very long.
              A stock 460 will survive above 6000RPMs longer than a stock 351W. Even the "good" factory 351W rods were not that good...

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                I am curious about this statement - Do you mean stock EFI 460 heads (if such a thing existed) or that you wouldn't go EFI on a 460? .
                Ford changed the heads when they went to EFI on the 460. I group the late 80s 4V heads in the same basket. Smog heads not suitable for a performance build when early heads are so plentiful. The only early head to absolutely stay away from is the 1 year abomination that is the 1972 only D2VE head.

Comment

Do you already have the 4.30s installed? That is simply too much gear for a HO cam unless you are running a tall tire. You will end up costing yourself ET and MPH. Do you have plans to go with a different engine/cam combo in the near future?

Comment

My car is 3900 and some change without me in it.

Mercracer - I already have the 4.30's in there have had them for about a year. When the new tranny goes in they will be matched up with a 3k stall and I am going to run a 28" tire this season.

Care to give me further details on the 4.30's and ho cam? Or will it do better with 28" tires.

With the stock stall and trans and 27" tires it goes through the trap around 70mph in second gear at 5300ish rpm. It needs to shift into third just like 50ft before the traps but it's always a quicker et if I hold 2nd vs shifter into 3rd right before the traps. So I figured with a good shifting tranny and a 3k stall it will pick up 1-2 mph. So I was going to step up to a 28" tire to try to drop a few hundred rpm so I could keep it in 2nd maybe even a 29" tire. I need to do some calculating and decide which one.

Sorry for the thread Jack btw

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                    Big plans

Comment

With the stock stall and trans and 27" tires it goes through the trap around 70mph in second gear at 5300ish rpm.
                      1/8th mile?

Comment

Yes sir

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                        Big plans

Comment

Yes sir
                          I based my statement regarding gears on 1/4 mile drags.

Comment

Ahh I see so you think it's good for the 1/8th

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                            Big plans

Comment

I haven't run the numbers yet, but how much would a decent 460 build cost? I'm assuming that we'd use aftermarket cylinder heads such as Blue Thunder (I would say Dove heads, but they only come unported). I imagine you would have to get a fairly stout AOD built to work with that 460. Then a custom driveshaft? If you wanted EFI, could you get the stock intake (something from a van or truck) to work with the 460 or would it have to be aftermarket like an EFI elbow or something? Just curious now that I'm thinking about it.

Packman

Comment

The AOD wouldn't bolt up to a 460 without an adapter....I'd definitely go that way for the overdrive gear 'cause I would want to drive it on the highway.

I don't know if one of those intakes would fit under the box hood. The truck 302 intake, at least, is way taller than the car version.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X