porting stock lower intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    People have sliced those intakes in half to allow full porting, and then welded them back together, sometimes with shorter runners up top for whatever reason. Seems like a hell of a lot of work for a stock upper intake to me.

If I could do all of the work myself it would be interesting as a project - much like the lower intake porting I want to do - but I'd never sink any real money into it to have work like that done...I think for the cost of having any fab work like that would equate to what an aftermarket intake would cost.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I seen the sliced plenums. What I dont get is how everything is welded properly. I never cut one open but I can't see the weld penetrating far enough to fully section off each runner...
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

As someone who tried it last night, don't bother with a dremel for porting. You will be there a LOOOONGGGGGGG time. Aluminum will be a bit easier, but just grinding down where the welds stuck a bit into the port (and I mean a tenth of an inch max) on my headers took well over 10 minutes a port with a good burr. Dremels just aren't powerful enough and will overheat.

Get a good die grinder and a porting kit, which will have all the burrs and sanding attatchments you need to both remove metal and smooth it all down.

Remember that smooth and uniform is the name of the game. If you're going to get aggressive about widening a certain area of a given port/runner, be prepared to widen out the entire rest of the port about as much. Having spots where the runner gets wider and then thinner is generally not a good thing.

Also, consider practicing port matching. I don't know about the relation between E7 heads and EFI intakes but I found that in my case (carb truck intake, stock E5? heads) gasket matching was a bad idea because my intake runner on the head is significantly smaller than both the truck intake ports and the intake gasket. Matching the intake to the gasket would have only left a larger ridge at the entrance to the heads, and I'm not pulling the heads to match them up. If you really enjoy this stuff and/or do well with it, consider buying a pair of E7 or GT40 heads that are good or repairable and trying out stuff on them. Also practicing port matching them to the ported intake, leaving you a matching set in case you feel like a little power boost for your whip. Generally speaking there are much larger gains to be had porting heads than intakes.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

something like that?
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

my unproffessional opinion is I'd get one with more metal burrs, but yeah that idea.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Gotcha. I'll likely find a set of GT40s to put on there as well and I'll probably try my hand at porting them since I'll already have the gear from the intake job.

E7 lower will bolt to GT heads, yeh?
              sigpic

Comment

I used an pneumatic tool and good quality metal burr things to remove some of the excess welds on my header flanges last summer. Went really fast actually and even with safety goggles I got stuff near my eyes. The metal was flying off like crazy...difficult to control but it make quick work of the thick welds and weld splatter.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                  As someone who tried it last night, don't bother with a dremel for porting. You will be there a LOOOONGGGGGGG time. Aluminum will be a bit easier, but just grinding down where the welds stuck a bit into the port (and I mean a tenth of an inch max) on my headers took well over 10 minutes a port with a good burr. Dremels just aren't powerful enough and will overheat.

Get a good die grinder and a porting kit, which will have all the burrs and sanding attatchments you need to both remove metal and smooth it all down.

Remember that smooth and uniform is the name of the game. If you're going to get aggressive about widening a certain area of a given port/runner, be prepared to widen out the entire rest of the port about as much. Having spots where the runner gets wider and then thinner is generally not a good thing.

Also, consider practicing port matching. I don't know about the relation between E7 heads and EFI intakes but I found that in my case (carb truck intake, stock E5? heads) gasket matching was a bad idea because my intake runner on the head is significantly smaller than both the truck intake ports and the intake gasket. Matching the intake to the gasket would have only left a larger ridge at the entrance to the heads, and I'm not pulling the heads to match them up. If you really enjoy this stuff and/or do well with it, consider buying a pair of E7 or GT40 heads that are good or repairable and trying out stuff on them. Also practicing port matching them to the ported intake, leaving you a matching set in case you feel like a little power boost for your whip. Generally speaking there are much larger gains to be had porting heads than intakes.
                  red stones and sanding rolls are a nono on aluminum i tried that too with my old lower intake. works great for iron stuff though.
                  89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                    those are the rolls youd need here are the burrs.
                    also check out these article diy porting tech documents here. this will give you an idea what youll need and also be in for when you begin this job. you can get carbide burrs for the dremel tool , however be forwarned they are waaay more expensive than the normal ones for a die grinder. if you want electric they do make an elctric one but those too have a hefty price tag. harbourfreight had one i think for relatively cheap though.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...=0CJYBEPMCMAc#
                    Last edited by zoomie; 02-28-2011, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Just an FYI, there are different burrs for aluminum and steel/iron. The aluminum ones are usually more coarse since its a softer material. The chips will clog up a burr meant for steel or iron. It won't ruin it, but you'll be stopping often to clear the thing out so it keeps working.

You don't really need carbide for doing aluminum. Its so soft it damn near jumps off the casting but if you want to do steel, carbide is highly desirable so it stays sharp.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Just an FYI, there are different burrs for aluminum and steel/iron. The aluminum ones are usually more coarse since its a softer material. The chips will clog up a burr meant for steel or iron. It won't ruin it, but you'll be stopping often to clear the thing out so it keeps working.

You don't really need carbide for doing aluminum. Its so soft it damn near jumps off the casting but if you want to do steel, carbide is highly desirable so it stays sharp.
                        good catch , i forgot to mention the coarse ones this is called a aluminum cut burr. there are many shapes and sizes for these

Comment

I've got no tools at all to start with; we've figured out some burrs/bits/whatever the correct term is but I don't have any of the required tools.

Electric would be the best because I don't have an air compressor or the space to keep it for the time being. Doesn't matter if it's weaker and takes longer as a result
                          sigpic

Comment

People have sliced those intakes in half to allow full porting, and then welded them back together, sometimes with shorter runners up top for whatever reason. Seems like a hell of a lot of work for a stock upper intake to me.
                            Back in the late 80's there were no performance intakes. The only options were to cut & modify a truck intake, cut & port a stock intake or have it extrude honed.

I got a Capri into the 12's with stock heads (emission bumps removed), stock cam, cut & ported upper intake, 65mm t-body, gears, shorties & Flowmasters.

I had an extrude honed upper & lower to try, but an idiot w/no license or insurance ran a light & totalled my car. I had to sell a bunch of parts to buy a new car, so I never tried the extruded one. I wish I had kept the SVO spoiler & cut intake though....
                            Last edited by mitymerc; 03-03-2011, 12:00 AM. Reason: spelling

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Working...
                            X