351w Cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by packman View Post
    How does one run a flat tappet cam nowadays w/o much zinc in the oil?
    I have had my hands in 6 engine builds in the last 2 years, all with flat tappet cams. These aren't my engines, but I enjoy putting them together. (1) 350 Oldsmobile, (4) 350 based SBCs, and (1) 305 SBC. One of the SBCs had a mechanical flat tappet cam, the rest of the engines were hydraulic.

I always used COMP break in lube, with Shell Rotella 10W30. I mix the break in lube into the oil (and make sure they mix) before adding it to the engine. I lube the shit out of the lifters and cam, and carefully prime the system (rotating 90 degrees between priming events). I make sure I have oil exiting the pushrods.

For break in, I usually start the car, bring the idle of to 1200- 1500, and let it run for a minute or two. Then I go through a 1500-2500 pattern.

Have yet to have a cam go bad.

I am in the process of building a 383 stroker SBC with a solid roller cam (Comp draw bars and cam, Dart 225 race port heads, Liberty hardware), for the same friend that the other engines were for. Much higher spring pressures! But I suspect there is less risk at cam break in.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

305 sbc??? Why? Unless it was for a F.A.S.T. class with an '80s Monte Carlo SS? I know they have additives and I should look into the cost of them.

Packman

Comment

I forgot to mention that we do use an additive (ZDDP) at every oil change.

The 305 is/was more of an experiment.

Stock heads (with upgraded springs). No port work, just a stock rebuild with better springs. 1970 LT-1 intake. Cheap rebuild on the bottom end. It does have a pretty healthy grind in it, the specs of which I do not remember off hand. Holley 750 DP, down jetted. 2000 stall converter we had laying around, and a stock TH350 we had laying around (no kit). 7.5" GM with a stock posi and 4.10s. 30-9-15s, and a gutted '79 Monte Carlo (with cage).

Car ran 13 flat, and we didn't mess with it much. Only went to the track a couple times.

My friend bought it for $700 as a roller. Well built car, too. Clean frame and body, and nice fab work. The previous owner had a big block in it, and ran as fast as 10.20s.

We put the boat anchor 305 in for fun. It will more than likely come out in favor of a big block; down the road. The '86 Monte is going to be campaigned in the points this year, so we are focusing on that. And thats what the 383 solid roller is destined for.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

All I run is rotella. The zinc additives aren't really needed with the diesel oils I've been told. There is still lots of it diesel oils.
          1989 Grand Marquis LS
          flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
            I forgot to mention that we do use an additive (ZDDP) at every oil change.

The 305 is/was more of an experiment.

Stock heads (with upgraded springs). No port work, just a stock rebuild with better springs. 1970 LT-1 intake. Cheap rebuild on the bottom end. It does have a pretty healthy grind in it, the specs of which I do not remember off hand. Holley 750 DP, down jetted. 2000 stall converter we had laying around, and a stock TH350 we had laying around (no kit). 7.5" GM with a stock posi and 4.10s. 30-9-15s, and a gutted '79 Monte Carlo (with cage).

Car ran 13 flat, and we didn't mess with it much. Only went to the track a couple times.

My friend bought it for $700 as a roller. Well built car, too. Clean frame and body, and nice fab work. The previous owner had a big block in it, and ran as fast as 10.20s.

We put the boat anchor 305 in for fun. It will more than likely come out in favor of a big block; down the road. The '86 Monte is going to be campaigned in the points this year, so we are focusing on that. And thats what the 383 solid roller is destined for.

I wanted to spend a little money on my 305 when I had it. I was going to get a BG Road Demon 500 cfm carb, Edlebrock dual plane intake, and World S/R 305 heads. In the end I couldn't justify spending even that little amount of money. I wish this were another life where I have a garage big enough to store my '53 and my old Malibu. Oh well. If I did have another shot at a G-body, it would have at least a solid roller 540 BBC.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
              Unless you have a F4TE block, a HR camshaft in a 5.8 is not a cheap option.
              Actually, for my needs, I've pretty much decided otherwise. (supercheap is what my stockish 5.0s are for!)

Now, if only I had a source for the $400 ....
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
              X