since I have a 4R70W..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

since I have a 4R70W..

Since I'm stripping the 95, and I hate to waste a perfectly good drivetrain, would the transmission (a wide ratio AOD as I understand it, electronically controlled) be much of an improvement over my old stocker AOD? The slightly shorter 1st and 2nd gear would go nice with the slightly shorter 3.27 rear from the same donor car I think. Especially since these are essentially free parts.

What's the skinny on controlling the transmission? Would it be possible to rig up an ECU just for the transmission? I dunno if it runs off of the ecu or a standalone transmission computer or what.

Any fitment issues? It bolts up to the block and crossmember?

I'm using the rear axle and maybe driveshaft if it's aluminum (haven't crawled under it yet), fwiw

stupid idea? the swap wouldn't be happening for a while, I could just drain the transmission and drop it and put it in the basement until its time comes (when I pull the motor to put gofast parts on, ideally). maybe i'll even learn something doing it.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Nope... transmission from a 4.6L engine will NOT bolt up to a 5.0L block. your best bet is to take the guts from the 4R70W, rebuild your AOD and use the wide ratio gear set from the 4R70W in the AOD.

the rear end from the 95 and aluminum drive shaft should bolt in your car.... although you will need to modify the brake lines for the rear disc and rig up the e-brake cables.
    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Or a 4r70w from a 3.8 mustang will bolt up. The 3.8 and sbf share the same bellhousing pattern. If you go with a 4r70w you will need an aftermarket controller like the baumann tcs. It's spendy but gives you complete control over the transmission. Or for about the same price as the baumann tcs you can get a manual valve body from silver foxx and wire you overdrive to a switch and do it that way, but that's more of a set up for a race car.

Or like they said above you can take the gear set out of the 4r70w you have now and put it in your aod and make a wide ratio aod. I hear the shift points are tricky to get right with a wide ratio aod and the tv cable system.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
      Big plans

Comment

thanks fellas!
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Working...
        X