X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distributor

This is for the white coupe.

302, roller HO cam.

I was looking to drop in my distributor tonight, and noticed that the gear had some wear on it. Hmmm.

I know the application I need is an '85 Mustang GT with the 302, and 4 bbl. However, according to Rock Auto, these existed with and without the steel gear, which is required for the roller cam.

So... judging by the wear on my gear, its an iron piece. I had another distributor that came with the car, and the gear looks much better. But that doesn't mean its steel...

Is there a way to tell steel vs iron, visually?

If not, I am not really comfortable buying another one of these '85 distributors, just to find out it also has an iron gear.

A steel gear from MSD is $70, which is damn expensive for what it is. Mallory has one listed for $35, but I have to wonder why it is so much cheaper than the Comp and MSD offerings. Is it really steel? Further more, install it is not simply plug and play. You have to check a few dimensions, etc. A real pain in the balls.

This kind of shit pisses me off.

Should I just buy an MSD Billet with the steel gear, and be done with it? I like how simple it is to adjust the advance curve; that tunability, and parts availability would probably add another useful dimension to my tuning.

Thoughts on this? Is there a way to tell steel vs iron? Should I just buy the MSD unit?
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

I'd rather that the distributor gear wear out, than the camshaft gear!

But, I don't know the differences.
    If there is an appreciable higher quality with the MSD, $35 is not much for piece of mind and the need not to change it again in the life of the car.

Comment

you don't want either to wear out. The "wear" produces metal shavings, which go in the pan.

Usually the iron gears have casting marks on the top and bottom of the gear where the steel gears show machine marks. I've heard enough bad things about MSD that I doubt you could convince me to buy one. Duraspark aint' fancy but chrome don't get you home.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
        This is for the white coupe.

302, roller HO cam.

I was looking to drop in my distributor tonight, and noticed that the gear had some wear on it. Hmmm.

I know the application I need is an '85 Mustang GT with the 302, and 4 bbl. However, according to Rock Auto, these existed with and without the steel gear, which is required for the roller cam.
        Rock auto is full of shit. 1985 4V got the roller cam and steel gear. CFI got a flat tappet and iron gear. I ordered mine through Auto Zone but most can get it. If you are going with a factory replacement distributor just get a reman for the correct application

Comment

if you have a TFI distributor laying about, I do believe the gear is the same on one of those as the dspark dizzy. just need a TFI distributor from something with a roller cam.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            if you have a TFI distributor laying about, I do believe the gear is the same on one of those as the dspark dizzy. just need a TFI distributor from something with a roller cam.
            The OD is the same but the ID and thickness may be different. I will have to check mine when I get the chance.

Comment

The TFI gear is different. .530 ish ID, whereas the DS distributor is .467. That was my first thought, to swap gears.

I ordered a Mallory gear.

I was set to buy the MSD, but when Thain commented about issues, I decided to do some research. I didn't like what I was seeing. Lots of bushing issues, some tolerancing problems, etc.

I also found alot of complaints about auto parts store 'steel' gears. Wearing prematurely, etc. I do not want problems, or a piece of shit. I'm sure the Mallory will do fine. I wanted to use the FRPP unit, but it is discontinued, and calls to several vendors confirmed that.
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

ah, well that wouldn't do then. Can't even chuck it in a lathe and make it fit. Oh well, perfect reason to EFI it

Comment

Yeah, easiest thing seems to be to get a steel-gear dizzy at AutoZone. Any year from '79 to '85, they offered me the option of steel or iron. Difference LTD to Mustang was which side the advance limiter was set on, still had to buy the Mr. Gasket spring kit to get the advance in sooner.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                  X