5.7 hemi in a box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.7 hemi in a box?

I have no idea how big these things are externally but they can't be as bad as a modular.

What issues do you figure you'd run into swapping a new hemi into a box? Not that I'd be able to try it in the next decade, but imo it'd be a bit cooler than a 4.6 swap.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

They are decent engines.

They are fairly large; not sure how they compare to the 4.6. Not as compact as the LS engines.

The usual obstacles for an engine swap; mounts, transmission mount, exhaust, etc. Probably have to run it on a stand alone ECU type deal. They also went to DBW in either '05 or '06, I believe.

The transmissions in the cars and trucks are problematic behind any extra power. Seems like thats all I ever read about in the performance section of the Dodge forum I am on. Hot rod trucks crapping the 545 transmissions. The cars are not much better, judging by what I was reading in Hot Rod a month or so ago. They also require electronic control, and I don't think anyone makes a standalone controller for the transmission.

If there isn't such a beast, a stick, or a 727 with a GVOD would be the other options.

Cars and trucks have different intakes; the truck intake is taller, and allegedly better, as well.

I personally, would do an LS before a new Hemi.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

GVOD= Gear Vendors brand Overdrive?

I see the appeal of the hemi over the LS motor. Even if the end result in terms of performance and difficult of install is similar, at the end of the day one is "yeah, it's got a hemi" and the other is "yeah, another small block chevy" no matter how advanced an SBC it is. Maybe if it was an LS7 or better...

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I know a guy who's dealt extensively with Modulars and recently installed a New Hemi in an old truck, so he would know. If you take your car to Indiana and pay him enough money, he might even be willing to work on your car for you.

Me, I'm very interested in eventually having something with a Gen III Chevy in it.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Performance wise, you could make a GM LS crap all over a Hemi, with the same investment.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Wouldn't surprise me.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I would rather see a new Hemi installed in an '80s Mopar "full-size" sedan.
              '79 Continental Town Car
              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                Performance wise, you could make a GM LS crap all over a Hemi, with the same investment.
                I know nothing of Chevy motors.
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

5.7 Imma choke a bitch...

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                    I would rather see a new Hemi installed in an '80s Mopar "full-size" sedan.
                    I agree. Get an early 80s New Yorker, Hemi it, and call it a 300something.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

hemi up a chrysler K car... that would be one hell of a sleeper.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                        I agree. Get an early 80s New Yorker, Hemi it, and call it a 300something.
                        My brother's last car was a 1986 Diplomat, the semi-rare Slicktop version. He loved it but it got 7 mpg, so he bought an old S-10 pickup that gets closer to 25 hwy.

His car was army green with grabber green wheels and the cap/ring trim. I'd like to see his old car with a modern Hemi in it. That would be awesome.

But putting a Chrysler motor in a Ford product? What's WRONG with you MANG!?!?! That would be like Megan Fox sleeping with Red Foxx. While he is dead. Just wrong on every conceivable level.
                        Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
                        Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                          hemi up a chrysler K car... that would be one hell of a sleeper.
                          AGREED!!! I like the way you think, sir. You are a pleasant deviant.
                          Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
                          Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
                            My brother's last car was a 1986 Diplomat, the semi-rare Slicktop version. He loved it but it got 7 mpg, so he bought an old S-10 pickup that gets closer to 25 hwy. His car was army green with grabber green wheels and the cap/ring trim. I'd like to see his old car with a modern Hemi in it. That would be awesome. But putting a Chrysler motor in a Ford product? What's WRONG with you MANG!?!?! That would be like Megan Fox sleeping with Red Foxx. While he is dead. Just wrong on every conceivable level.
                            The "slicktop" diplomats arnt even close to semi-rare as most of em came that way, the only ones that werent was the diplomat se i got a 87 chrysler fifth avenue (same body as the diplomat) lowrider that ive had the thought of puttin a 5.7 or 6.1 hemi in, my problem is findin one cheap

Comment

generation 3 hemi

Last month i thought why not put a 5.7 hemi in my 90 tc. Im getting tired of the gutless 302. And im not impressed that much with my 06 tc 4.6. Any 300 hemi or northstar will waste my 06 towncar. And they both get better mpg and weigh within a few hundred lbs. Im used to my 70 challenger 440 melting the tires at 30 mph and all thru 2ndto 80 mph.

Engine masters magazine latest small block winner was a 5.7 hemi with the new 09 up 5.7 heads at 700 hp with just a small cam 230 -40 at .050. It beat out all 4.6 fords and ls chevys. With the new factory production eagle 09 up heads these are really putting out some good hp #s. Lots of guys put them into old challengers.

The ls7 is one of my favorite motors. And i like john kasses new boss 429 heads about the best. You should hear the dodge queers curse me for thinking liking kasses new motor better than the old 440 mopar. It puts out a nice streetable 800 hp. No 440's put out 800 streetable hp unless there boosting or using nitrous.

4.6 just dont have enough c. inches, but the new 5.0 coyote is one hell of an engine.

A 727 or 518 will work on a new hemi. prob need an adapter. 90 t car hoods are so low that a hemi may hit the hood. Id use a 351 winsdor with 427- 460 cubes, but i wont use a hood scoop. thats why i thought going hemi if its short enough. No more 4.6's for me. One slug is enough, but the 06 tc is real nice. Handles really good and looks alot better than a ugly caddy or slab sided 300s and hideous chargers. And new challenger rear gears whine like a prius owner watching axe men loggers or a nascar race.

Comment

Working...
                              X