No announcement yet.

5.0 build in 1990 Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bottom end is strong enough that the engine block will usually split open before you have problems with the crank and rods. Pistons are fine up to a 150 shot or so as Mercracer indicated.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 90merc View Post
      Wouldn't throwing on a carburetor be a lot be alot easier than getting all the necessary parts to to use EFI?
      Easier and cheaper.

Comment

You guys need to use the search function over on the corral. 300hp at the crank DOES NOT require any porting and can be done with an HO cam in an Exploder engine with 1.6's. Most Exploder engines with HO cams and bolt ons put out 270+whp with a few creative ones eeking out 300whp. It's not the end all solution, but it's a damn stout street engine.
        1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Crownvicman289 View Post
          300hp at the crank DOES NOT require any porting and can be done with an HO cam in an Exploder engine with 1.6's. Most Exploder engines with HO cams and bolt ons put out 270+whp with a few creative ones eeking out 300whp.
          "Most" is an over-generalization when you do not provide the specifics of "bolt-ons". This is especially true when we are discussing both EFI and carb builds and the relative cost comparison. I can tell you that there are guys on the Corral who are making 300whp with unported E7 heads and a HO cam. Just check out some posts by Ed Curtis. His user name is Ed Curtis. That does not mean that "Most" are doing so (they are not).

Originally posted by Crownvicman289 View Post
          You guys need to use the search function over on the corral. .
          If you are going to bring up another forum, post a link to the thread (or user name) you are referring to....

Comment

Should I use the GT-40 or GT-40p heads. Im not sure of the difference or pros and cons of both.

Comment

P heads flow a bit better, good for 10ish horsepower, but require special headers or creative changes to a spark plug socket.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

specifically frpp , bbk 1515 or stock lincoln logs which are tubular exhuast manifolds off a stock 90 lincoln.
                porting works well with gt40 heads,but not so much gt40p, those respond better to bigger valves,and bowl work
                89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Should I use the GT-40 or GT-40p heads. Im not sure of the difference or pros and cons of both.
                  P heads have a smaller combustion chamber than standard GT40 heads. Mustang Cobra heads are the exception. If you are going NA, then the P heads will provide more efficiency and some amount of more power. I believe 10HP is being overly optimistic with a stock HO cam. The advantage to the standard GT40 heads is that you can use any standard header. If you are going to use nitrous or forced induction, I would recommend standard GT40 heads as GT40P heads have a lean burn combustion chamber and are more prone to detonation. Mild porting and surfacing of the heads will easily allow GT40 heads to exceed the performance of P heads.
                  P heads are more readily available and will typically cost less. GT40P headers are readily available and the same or nearly the same price new as standard headers depending on brand. I use FRPP standard stainless headers and I am using them on standard heads also because I can access all of the spark plugs easily. The "old" FRPP headers were actually more of a pain to work on.

Comment

P heads have different spark plug angles that sorta limit your selection of headers significantly (without modification that is). Ford 'P' headers are the only ones I'm aware of that can fit with no modifications to spark plug sockets and stuff, they're a couple hundred dollars or so. P heads have been proven to flow better than the GT40 heads, due to their combustion chambers, and make a little more power due to where the spark plug is closer to the center of the combustion chamber, for more a more efficient combustion. They are the best stock factory head that Ford had produced. Which was actually the last head that went on the 302.

Comment

johnunit is right. Forget the GT40/GT40P heads. You have to go larger.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                      Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                      5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by N A View Post
                        johnunit is right. Forget the GT40/GT40P heads. You have to go larger.
                        Not for what he wants to do, he doesn't.

Comment

I'd like to see how this project turns out.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

I'm still shopping for heads. So, does the mustang come with the GT40 heads stock, and the explorer with GT40p heads?
                            85' Crown Vic 2dr. Small tire stock block grudge car.
                            09’ CTS-V family car making over 700whp with ease.
                            79’ f350 427 ls7 swapped with th400. Prerunner setup
                            64’ c30 dually. Slammed and turbo 5.3 with 4l80e

Comment

Mustang Cobra came with GT40's and IIRC that was a 93-95 thing. The regular GT Mustang got the E7's. GT40's also came on the 96 Exploder. 97+ 5.0 Exploders got the P heads.
                              1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by 85ltd View Post
                                I'm still shopping for heads..."
                                Try to find a pair of GT40s in your area. That way you'll avoid paying $100 in shipping and handling from eBay.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X