No announcement yet.

5.0 build in 1990 Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive thought about it and realized it would be nice keeping it fuel injected. Better gas mileage and no screwing around with a carburetor every month. I already have a 66 Catalina that gives me enough trouble. So what parts do I need to upgrade; upper/lower intake, throttle body, injectors? Thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by 90merc View Post
      Ive thought about it and realized it would be nice keeping it fuel injected. Better gas mileage and no screwing around with a carburetor every month. I already have a 66 Catalina that gives me enough trouble. So what parts do I need to upgrade; upper/lower intake, throttle body, injectors? Thanks for the help
      well for starters,the exhuast could use an upgrade to headers,and 2.5 pipe with some nice mufflers. next i would go to at least 3.55 gears,and i swear by tracloks too , k code axle is what yoru looking for. they came in box limos, whic his prob easiest if you can find one,i have yet to find alimo without ast least 3.55 gearing. also came in the tow package cars as well.
      tires, well everyone has thier own preference, perosnally im really digging the 275/60/15 that i have on the rear right now.
      intakes, you can use virtually any intake designe for the 5.0 with little to no modify cation at all.
      the most popular one to use is a gt40 style intake from a v-8 explorer 96-97 1/2 is the best year to look for.
      throttle body, you can use almost any throttle body designed for the 5.0 with some modifycation
      egr spacer usually you have to bore a stock one out or find teh ever elusive first gen lightning eger spacer im working on kicking som out that just bolt on. injectors 14,19,21,22 are usable for sd anything higher than that and youll need a custom tune or go MAF, of course tuning is always a good thing too.
      cams :, stock HO ,xplorer, comp XE258,comp XE264 for sd, there is also a guy who customs grinds cams too that woud probably work to sut our cars needs heres the link
      http://www.rmcompetition.com/Ford_.html hope this helps im sure others will chime in
      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Ive thought about it and realized it would be nice keeping it fuel injected. Better gas mileage and no screwing around with a carburetor every month.
        A properly functioning and tuned carb shouldnt need messed with once a month, it should need a slight change once a year from winter to summer. Also a properly tuned and functioning carb can achieve the same fuel milage as a efi motor.

Im all for efi but dont discount the carb.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
        Big plans

Comment

I'll discount it. My mpg's didn't change much switching from carb to EFI, but holy crap does it pull harder. I had my distributor recurved and carb was tuned with a wideband and the car's never pulled as hard as it does now with EFI. Fuck carbs and their propensity to vapor lock. Never again.
          1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Crownvicman289 View Post
            Fuck carbs and their propensity to vapor lock. Never again.
            Vapor lock is not a normal occurance with a carb.

Comment

Well it depends on what you want to do.
              First off, you will need 19lb injectors. These are yellow/orange in color. They are found on Mustangs, HO Mark VIIs, 92+Crown Victorias/Grand Marquis/Town Cars, and 5.0 explorers. Explorers injectors can atomize the fuel better due to having 4 holes on the bottom of the injector instead of 1 hole.

As for intakes, you do have choices

First off, you can get the upper intake from a mustang (lower intake is same between our cars and stock EFI mustangs [besides cobra obviously]) If you port match the intakes to each other, and the heads that will help a lot. You will need a mustang throttle body, and will need to swap the levers from your merc's throttle body to the mustang one. You will need to have a machine shop bore out your stock EGR spacer, or modify a mustang one to accept the bracket for the throttle cable and tv cable.

Then you have the GT40 intakes. These are found on explorers. They are very close to how the Cobra intake is on the '93 Mustang. You will need an explorer throttle body, and like the mustang throttle body, you will need to swap your levers over from the stock one to the explorer throttle body.
              You will need to either bore out a Mustang egr spacer and modify it for your bracketry to bolt up, or find the elusive Lightning 351 EGR spacer. That will bolt up to everything as if it was stock. I was lucky enough to find one when I did, and I thank the mang who had it for me.

Then you have aftermarket intake choices. And that would be on you to research, or someone else's experiences. I haven't used anything but stock components, so I wouldn't know anything about aftermarket intakes.

I hope this helps.

Comment

90Merc, where are you located?

Thought I saw a post where you mentioned something about Massachusetts. If thats the case, we should have a little meet; CT and MA folks. I think I have Dave's (FastGallopingPony) number. Nick i usually open for meets, and I think there is another guy in MA. N_A, or something like that.

My car is carbureted; maybe that would give you some ideas.

If your not from MA, ignore...
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Yea I live on Cape Cod. P72Ford, your engine build is pretty much what I had in mind. Can you tell me a little more about it. Thanks

Comment

.020 over 302, GT40Ps, which I was told have bowl work, early SD HO cam, which I measured and degreed. It has 1.7 rockers, and thats about it. Performer RPM air gap, and a 600 DP.

3000 stall converter and 3.73s are pretty much the only other major modifications.
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
                      A properly functioning and tuned carb shouldnt need messed with once a month, it should need a slight change once a year from winter to summer. Also a properly tuned and functioning carb can achieve the same fuel milage as a efi motor.

Im all for efi but dont discount the carb.

What this guy says. There IS no better or worse between carbs and SEFI. My best info at this time is that if you experience a difference, something was less than optimal about the combination that performed worse. So barring meddlesomeness from state inspectors, just choose the system you can afford and will be more comfortable with.

Best advice I know of is to do lots of reading and learn different ways to make power with the SBF of your choice. Folks here are pretty familiar with most conventional ways to do it, and SBFtech.com has lots of interesting reading about using "too big" heads, small cams, and single-plane intakes (or very large throttle bodies for you injected types) to make plenty of low end torque on the street.
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                        "...I think there is another guy in MA. N_A, or something like that..."
                        I'd like to get my GM running before the meet.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                        Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                        5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

So you're going to do a 351? Go for a 94+ block . I believe those were roller blocks. Get an HO cam, roller lifters and such or something better than the stock HO cam. Next you'll have to decide about heads, do you want factory heads, aftermarket heads?
                          Will this be fuel injected or carbed?

Comment

Here's the plan because I think it's been about 5 years since my GM ran under it's own power. (I'm getting tired of pushing it up and down my driveway making engine noises).
                            I bought a house a few months before my 302 died. I was left with the choice of "Fix my car or pay the mortgage". The answer was very easy for me. I like living under my own roof. I don't have alot of money. I'm going to grab a running roller cam, 351W EFI motor and throw it in my GM. I have to find a 351 GT40 lower intake to work with my GT40 intake. The AOD needs to be rebuilt too. I'll send it out and have a wide ratio kit installed then I should be good to go.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by N A View Post
                              Here's the plan because I think it's been about 5 years since my GM ran under it's own power. (I'm getting tired of pushing it up and down my driveway making engine noises).
                              I bought a house a few months before my 302 died. I was left with the choice of "Fix my car or pay the mortgage". The answer was very easy for me. I like living under my own roof. I don't have alot of money. I'm going to grab a running roller cam, 351W EFI motor and throw it in my GM. I have to find a 351 GT40 lower intake to work with my GT40 intake. The AOD needs to be rebuilt too. I'll send it out and have a wide ratio kit installed then I should be good to go.
                              And you're planning on having this all done before SF mang? I'm excited. What computer are you going to run in it?

Comment

Not before SF. I might make the 2012 SF or 2013 SF. I'm thinking about running the A9L computer.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X