gofast panther suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gofast panther suspension

I know one of the biggest limiting factors in sending a Panther down the track at anything approaching ludicrous speed is the suspension designed with elderly bluehairs in mind.

What exactly are these limiting factors? Inherent design of the chassis? Wimpy springs and shocks? Not enough reinforcement? What? I've seen videos of a B body wagon doing wheelstands going down the track (and doing like 9s or 10s as I recall) so I know it's possible....I'm just curious where one should start if they're tuning their Panther suspension for more straight-line acceleration as opposed to the floaty boaty ride we all know and (mostly) love.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

The chassis is good, pull the front swaybar, 90/10 shocks on the front, 50/50 on the rear. Little stiffer spring on the back.

Good bushings all around, a good alignment. Uslydawg's wagon pulls 2.0 or less 60' with not much done to the suspension. I don't think bigbluetank has anything special either.

Wheel stands are fun to look at but make you slow. It's wasted power that should be being used to push the car down the track instead of lifting the car in the air.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

What does pulling the front sway bar accomplish? Sorry for all of the n00b questions, I'm really just trying to get a basic grasp on what makes gofast suspension vs grandma suspension
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

it allows more suspension travel, letting the nose get up higher, transferring more weight to the back tires.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

good for a little weight reduction too, though this is fairly insignificant. Mostly its to allow more and uneven suspension travel. if you notice on cars with a lot of motor, they pull one wheel off the ground on a launch. If you had the bar on, this probably wouldn't happen but instead of the weight shifting to the back for traction, it stays forward to keep the wheel on the ground.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What I have done so far is use the 925# front 200# rear springs from speedway motors, energy susp. bushings all the way around and the "police" shocks you get from napa. It launches pretty straight and solid with a 1.80 60ft. I don't have any of those scary floating feelings in the triple digits either.
            1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
            2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
              it allows more suspension travel, letting the nose get up higher, transferring more weight to the back tires.
              I'll add to that it is the same reason for 90/10 shocks. They pull apart easy to let the front get up, but cushion the return down to normal ride height (normal street shock would be 50/50, it actually isn't, but it is for the sake of comparison) =-)

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by Pesty351 View Post
                What I have done so far is use the 925# front 200# rear springs from speedway motors, energy susp. bushings all the way around and the "police" shocks you get from napa. It launches pretty straight and solid with a 1.80 60ft. I don't have any of those scary floating feelings in the triple digits either.
                1.8! nice.
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Thank you.
                  1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                  2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                  sigpic

Comment

1.80 seconds to 60 feet? is that what that means? I take it the 60' is a way of determining how well a car gets off the line.
                    sigpic

Comment

Just a marking at the drag strip. But yes it is used to indicate how well a car does out of the hole. So when you se people talk about what a car 60's like that's what they are talking about. Also if you don't know 1.8 60ft is very respectable for a panther. My junk only pulls a 2.3 60ft.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                      Big plans

Comment

thanks man. i had no idea about any of that.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          good for a little weight reduction too, though this is fairly insignificant. Mostly its to allow more and uneven suspension travel. if you notice on cars with a lot of motor, they pull one wheel off the ground on a launch. If you had the bar on, this probably wouldn't happen but instead of the weight shifting to the back for traction, it stays forward to keep the wheel on the ground.
                          The right wheel raises for the same reason that the right tire spins first with an open diff. It is because of the direction of the driveshaft rotation. The left rear tire is planted into the ground and the car is in effect pushing off of it and unloading the right side. That is why you mount your battery over the right rear tire to preload the right side of the rear suspension. The sway bar has nothing to do with this effect. A sway bar definitely will not help to stop your front end from lifting if you have enough engine torque. With enough torque, you can permanently twist the frame including factory engine compartment cross members. I will get pictures of my Mach 1 engine compartment some time which has evidence of this.

Comment

Working...
                          X