Performance Limits with Smog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance Limits with Smog

The other thread fulfilled its purpose and evolved into a general thread. Since most modified cars are smogged and are simple HO conversions, let's talk about the limits of mods for passing smog. What will a SD ECM handle for heads and intake before you have to add a chip? Has anyone passed with an HO cam and Explorer intake with heads? What about the Explorer/F150 cam with the same?

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
    The other thread fulfilled its purpose and evolved into a general thread. Since most modified cars are smogged and are simple HO conversions, let's talk about the limits of mods for passing smog. What will a SD ECM handle for heads and intake before you have to add a chip? Has anyone passed with an HO cam and Explorer intake with heads? What about the Explorer/F150 cam with the same?
    To be honest. There have been people who have had no problems with running an HO cam with explorer intakes and heads with no problems on Speed density ECMs. Others run and act like Tom's or mine did with leaning out.

When I was in school and had the D9S (Mark VII Speed Density) in with the explorer (cam, heads and intake) engine, I had low HC, low CO, however since it ran lean, I had high O2, so NOx was a problem. However, I haven't figured out the reason why the computer didn't enrichen the mixture. I'm thinking because of it being bored out, even just .020" was enough that the computer was out of it's operating parameters and that's why it would run lean. The explorer intake manifolds, explorer cam and freer flowing heads didn't help the situation either.

Comment

Since my setup does not have a stock cam, I cannot comment.

However, I'm sure there are a ton of threads on this topic on corral in the archives.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

with ported E7 heads and an Explorer intake with an Explorer cam on a .020 over motor, the SD ECM ran way too lean as verified on the dyno. I think it was around 18:1 at points, and at its richest, it got around 14:1. It also pinged terribly on regular fuel with stock timing. The mass air ECM seems to have mostly fixed that, though on rare occasion it does ping a bit. At some point, I'd like to run it on the dyno again to see how close it is to being correct. I've never had problems passing emissions, but here in NJ its an idle and a fast idle test. If you fail that, something is very wrong.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
          Since my setup does not have a stock cam, I cannot comment.

However, I'm sure there are a ton of threads on this topic on corral in the archives.
          Since I have no plans of doing such a build myself, I am not going to spend much time researching it. I am just wondering what the general limits are for those who are stuck with SD and have no plans to do a MAF upgrade. The hot SD setups on the Corral use it because there is no restriction of a MAF. There are some truly impressive SD builds but not without the benefit of a chip or other ECM manipulations. Emissions is not a concern for them..

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            with ported E7 heads and an Explorer intake with an Explorer cam on a .020 over motor, the SD ECM ran way too lean as verified on the dyno. I think it was around 18:1 at points, and at its richest, it got around 14:1. It also pinged terribly on regular fuel with stock timing. The mass air ECM seems to have mostly fixed that, though on rare occasion it does ping a bit. At some point, I'd like to run it on the dyno again to see how close it is to being correct. I've never had problems passing emissions, but here in NJ its an idle and a fast idle test. If you fail that, something is very wrong.
            They don't test for NOx in NJ, otherwise I'm sure my car would've failed.

Comment

Unfortunately jayh no longer posts here.

He had done some serious SD builds.
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                Unfortunately jayh no longer posts here.

He had done some serious SD builds.
                Yeah he did, but he was a real asshole.

Comment

Not at all.

Some people here just thought he was. Its discouraging that most of our tech resources get run off...
                  **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                  **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                  **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                  **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

He's just another guy badgered into submission by that guy who left but didn't.

He seems nice enough on sbftech.com

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

on my towny
                      ho pistons with stock bore, ho cam, thumper ported e7's, 1.7 roller rockers, ported lower, ported upper, 65mm tb with 63mm egr spacer holley adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 2.25" exhaust........runs like a raped ape with speed density.......when i had it on the dyno in 04 the air fuel ratio was right too

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I'm liking this thread

Packman

Comment

iI am still in the testing stages, however my goal is to see just how far I can take the stock SD system, mods will be added periodically as i get the money, very poss in the near future i will drop some modded 289 heads on, but that is only contingent on wethere or not they are in rebuildable condition.
                          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
                            ... very poss in the near future i will drop some modded 289 heads on, but that is only contingent on wethere or not they are in rebuildable condition.
                            Are you looking for 289 heads?

Comment

How about a whole oil burning 289 that runs like a champ?
                              1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                              X