No announcement yet.

So you thought you could tune a Holley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is another idle issue. When was the last time you replaced the Idle Feed Screw gaskets.
    Here are a couple pics sorry about the quality. Think you can get the idea though. The top pair were in one of my carbs for a year I guess. They had shrunk and were impregnated with fuel. They were leaking air into the idle curcuit. Actually seating water around the outside of the needle due to the air velosity entering. With the engine shut off a trace of fuel leaked out.

Second pair were in for a week. Already leaking air, sweating and fuel soaked. This might have some to due with todays fuel vs cork.

The bottom one is made of neoprine and are available through Quick Fuel Technology. They fit tight and should last longer. Just finisned installing them and idle seems much better already.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Holley idle feed screw gaskets 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1265616Click image for larger version

Name:	Holley idle feed screw gaskets 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1265617
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Ethanol does that. Easiest fix is to run premium.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
        Ethanol does that. Easiest fix is to run premium.
        I cant even run anything but premium. Fix is the right gasket. They fit tighter in the hole and turing the screw is harder. Be careful when turning the screw in as to tight into the seat and you just toasted a meeterig block.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
          Lean spot off idle. What to look for to begin with.

This will require pulling the carb. Does anyone know what the Curb Idle Discharge Hole is? How about the Idle Transfer Slot?
          As in, he should look for cloggage in the discharge holes or transition slots?
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
            As in, he should look for cloggage in the discharge holes or transition slots?
            First thing is to look at the relationship of the butterfly to the idle transfer slot.

About .020 to .040 of the slot should be beneath the throttle blade never more than .060.
            Typical if the carb is too big the throttle blade will be beneath the slot or cover it.
            Too much too little of the slot can cause a off idle flat spot.

Comment

Its done it since it was new. Yes it runs funny because the butterfly's are open too far to make it idle. It idles in the transition circuit. I know what the problem is, just not how to fix it.
              1989 Grand Marquis LS
              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_Pride View Post
                Its done it since it was new. Yes it runs funny because the butterfly's are open too far to make it idle. It idles in the transition circuit. I know what the problem is, just not how to fix it.
                The usuall fix is to close the primarys to only let .040 of the slot show below the blade. Then use the secondary throttle stop to open the secondarys to adjust the idle. I remove the secondary idle screw and install an alan head machine screw and a spring (if there is clearance) and rarely touch the primary idle speed screw again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	quads on engine 002.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	1265625

Notice the screw in the rear carb infront of the vaccum hose. Front carb is the same but vew is blocked.

Comment

Does the socket-head screw make it adjustable without removing the carb?

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                    Does the socket-head screw make it adjustable without removing the carb?
                    Yes as long as there is clearance for it with the manifold / spacer combo. Can be done by hand in most cases. Sometimes some grinding can be done to provide clearance. A spring the right tension and it stays put.

This wont possibly fix all the issues but its were to start. Next might be the idle air bleed and or the idle fuel restriction.
                    Last edited by turbo2256b; 08-16-2011, 07:45 PM.

Comment

<----- wishes AFBs had secondary idle screws.

Comment

Ill play with it this weekend. Or maybe tomorrow at work when I'm bored.
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS
                        flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

There is another fix to get the throttle blad in proper relation to the Idle Transfer Slot. This requires drilling a hole in each of the primary throttle plates. Some Holley carbs have this done from the factory. I will see if I can come up with some pics of this along with how to do when time permits.

Comment

off idle flat spot

The just off idle flat spot that responds to making the idle richer almost always means there is a problem with the accel. pump. Look inside the primary barrels. with just a tap of the throttle linkage you should see a strong full squirt right away. If not, there is slop in the pump linkage that needs fixed. Pushing the throttle down slightly more and the squirt gets better so no flat spot!!!
                            sigpic
                            89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
                            13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
                            "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

I drilled the holes. It helped a little. Not enough.
                              1989 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_Pride View Post
                                I drilled the holes. It helped a little. Not enough.
                                Sometimes a combo of both is needed. The secondary stop mod is handy though as you never have to use the idle speed screw on the primary again which could through things off again.

The mods needed for the opposite issue not enough slot showing is fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X