No announcement yet.

Exhaust suggestions - stock/HO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah there's no way that installing parts that fit a 302/AOD combo on ANY other car will result in hitting the engine or tranny in a panther. The relationship of the exhaust ports (where the headers locate from) to the rest of the engine and tranny DO NOT CHANGE between cars. The only possible fitment issues are chassis/steering/body related.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
      Yeah there's no way that installing parts that fit a 302/AOD combo on ANY other car will result in hitting the engine or tranny in a panther. The relationship of the exhaust ports (where the headers locate from) to the rest of the engine and tranny DO NOT CHANGE between cars. The only possible fitment issues are chassis/steering/body related.
      THANK YOU! lol

Comment

When I got mine, I didn't get anything but the headers themselves in the deal, so I had to buy a set of header bolts (kit) & the gaskets from the shop I'm gonna have do my exhaust. Wound up mix & match reusing some of the used bolts that came with the car, and some from the ordered kit because the kit only had (IIRC) 12 in the package.

I'll just have the shop grind the transmission & maybe put some heat shielding or something in between the tranny casing if possible for good measure. May ask the shop about a tranny cooler too, I'm sure they won't not reccommend it.

Near the end of April is my target for having the local shop put the tranny in ($350 including the service fluid/filter) and new exhaust (less than $300 probably). Hope I can have them made to work with little to no hassle.
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Good news guys, the Ebay seller that sold me the Pypes said he can get the 1515 in stock and swap them out for me. Obviously, I'm going to loose around $50 on all the shipping and his shops price difference but oh well. I'll keep this thread updated!
          1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
            I'll just have the shop grind the transmission & maybe put some heat shielding or something in between the tranny casing if possible for good measure. May ask the shop about a tranny cooler too, I'm sure they won't not reccommend it.
            Good luck, but your on your own with these nightmares lol..

Is it good enough to use the gasket that comes with the 1515's or should I get a new one to prevent leaks?
            1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
              Maybe I've lost too much grey matter LOL.The Mustang pre cats were jammed against SOMETHING & would not fit the '91 without cutting them out..........

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

In addition to my BBK 1515 Gasket question, I'd also like to know what Sxcpotatoes was referring to about the polish that supposedly stops headers from tarnishing ever. Can anyone chime in?

Comment

I'll have to bug my neighbour some more later this week. He had headers & exhaust put on his GMC 1500. He forgot what it was called & couldn't find the leftovers he thought he had. He said it was a polish that with one application, would keep the headers from turning colours from the heat.
                  Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by Stealthlead View Post
                    BBK 1515 is what I'll probably go with so long as they bolt directly up and don't hit the trans or anything stupid like that. I should have listened to zoomie in the first place lol
                    i dont reccomend stuff for no reason lol most of the stuff i reccomend, i use personally or i know ppl who have used or do use and its proven.
                    for the headers you will like them, they fit nice and are fairly easy to install, they work with both allen head and normal header bolts as i have both on mine...dont ask. also if you havnt used your gaskets make sure they fit the bbk ones, if you did use them tossem and get new ones.
                    btw those pypes headers are waay overpriced
                    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Just double check that the header flange is not warped right out of the box...i did not assuming they were fine and had to exchange them.
                      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Just for the heck of it you might want to check out this site.
                        They even have some nice tri-y long tubes. They will get your exhaust to the underside and pointing straight rearward. Might be a nice option if you want to do your own pipe work. No funkey bends to line up to get under the car.

We specialize in high performace Ford engines and headers.
                        Last edited by lincolnlarry; 04-07-2012, 12:25 PM.
                        sigpic
                        89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
                        13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
                        "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

I'll make sure to thoroughly inspect the headers lol and check the gaskets to make sure they match up. Not going to make the same mistake twice!

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
                          i dont reccomend stuff for no reason lol most of the stuff i reccomend, i use personally or i know ppl who have used or do use and its proven.
                          for the headers you will like them, they fit nice and are fairly easy to install, they work with both allen head and normal header bolts as i have both on mine...dont ask. also if you havnt used your gaskets make sure they fit the bbk ones, if you did use them tossem and get new ones.
                          btw those pypes headers are waay overpriced
                          I got the Pypes headers for a good price, like $220 shipped. I don't have the pypes gaskets anymore which is why I was asking about the BBK. Good to hear they should fit nicely and have a smooth installation :3 I'm so ready to get my exhaust done with so I can start on the HO intake!

Also is it neccesary to put gasket on both the block to gasket and headers to gasket?

Comment

Didn't someone on here say that Fairlane/Galaxie longtubes may fit boxes with no modification? I thought I read that, but I doubt anyone has tried it, and I wouldn't try it unless I had a junk set I scored free to test fit first.
                            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by Stealthlead View Post
                              I'll make sure to thoroughly inspect the headers lol and check the gaskets to make sure they match up. Not going to make the same mistake twice!

I got the Pypes headers for a good price, like $220 shipped. I don't have the pypes gaskets anymore which is why I was asking about the BBK. Good to hear they should fit nicely and have a smooth installation :3 I'm so ready to get my exhaust done with so I can start on the HO intake!

Also is it neccesary to put gasket on both the block to gasket and headers to gasket?
                              get gasket and copper spray seal, thats what i used on mine, i sprayed the gaskte on both sides let it set up a little bit bout 15 min or so and then crankem down.
                              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnlarry View Post
                                Just for the heck of it you might want to check out this site.
                                They even have some nice tri-y long tubes. They will get your exhaust to the underside and pointing straight rearward. Might be a nice option if you want to do your own pipe work. No funkey bends to line up to get under the car.

http://fordpowertrain.com/
                                Tri-y are truck headers aren't they?

Comment

Working...
                                X