Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what IS the best minimum-mod drop-in engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Midnight Drifter View Post
    Base goal though is 302 WHP on NA with no power adders, and preferably using 87 octane. I wonder if the 302 has the capacity for that?

I was following a buildup a while back of a NA 347 that dynoed at 694hp. That exact build isn't for all of us, but I found it a neat demonstration of what can be done with OOTB $1500 cylinder heads and a highly thought-out combination.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

302 making 302 rwhp NA? sure, no problem. Its easier if you ditch the AOD for a 5 speed tho. The T5 is good for about 30 hp at the rear wheels over an AOD in the same car. Weighs less too. A head/cam/intake swap with the proper parts should easily get you 300.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

351C with 2V heads
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
          Early 5.0 explorers have the same injector plugs as our cars. And you can also use a SEFI panther TPS.
          I can't be the only one who's ever used the Explorer TPS. . . it's super easy, just depin the Explorer plug off the TPS and repin the Panther connector onto it. It's the same style 0-5V 3 wire sensor and the wire colors even match, plus the Exploder has that nifty cover and is way newer.

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
          The explorer uses Hypereutectic pistons also a cast piston yet it's an mix of aluminum and silicone iirc.
          Where in Jersey are you?
          Hypereutectic just means there's more silicon in the mix than it can take and still be homogeneous. The high silicon content makes the piston harder, but also more brittle. It also makes the piston expand/contract less which is good for cold emissions which, in a newer car, is where the majority of overall emissions comes from. Forged pistons can be hypereutectic too since it only refers to the silicon content. The highest percentage of silicon that an alloy can take while remaining homogeneous is a eutectic mixture and a hypo-eutectic alloy has a silicon content of less than 12%, with 12.5-12.7% being a eutectic mixture. Read all about it here.
          Last edited by Crownvicman289; 10-29-2011, 02:06 AM.
          1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

I have access to a '90 civilian 302/AOD. Is it a good starting point? I know for a fact they're less than 100k and I could probably have 'em both for around $300
            1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

I have access to a '90 civilian 302/AOD. Is it a good starting point? I know for a fact they're less than 100k and I could probably have 'em both for around $300

that is a good price. i would jump on that. that is SEFI which is what is in my towny and they have very good drivability.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
              -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
              1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

I'm mainly concerned about how much work needs to adjust the engine's powerband, and the rotating assembly's ability (or lack of) to withstand higher-than-sea-level atmospheric pressures during combustion cycle.

By the way, appealing as it sounds, I'd never manual-convert a Grand Marquis. If i wanted a manual car, I'd pursue an old P71. It fits the personality more.
                Last edited by Midnight Drifter; 10-30-2011, 08:33 PM.
                1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

the trans is fine for a start if you want an auto... but an explorer 5.0L engine would be a better base ... an HO 5.0L from a stang, tbird, Mark 7 would be better for an engine (stang as a last resort since they're usually beat anyhow) since they have forged pistons to at least 92 (there's some debate on whether the 93 got the hypereutectic or not). Of course... a good truck 351 roller engine from the mid 90s is also a great engine to start with. The lopos don't do boost reliably much at all.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

92 was the only year for forged in a 5.0 HO

Comment

I guess that was because of the 92 stang cobra r (which is still a coveted beast)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Cobra R engines were built by hand in the Whiticar building next to Advance Engine. Think they were 351s too but dont remember just remember watching some of them being built.

Comment

that would make sense. *shrugs* one year of forged and then hypers... cast up till then I guess. then the cast should handle 3-6psi till the cows come home. upgrade to forged to get any meaner than that.

Comment

That can depend on the compression of the engine and the RPM desired. Have seen 7.5 compression used with 10lbs of boost and cast pistons and RPM was 5200 severl different cars some 10s in the quarter on street tires. One was a 6cyl rambler waggon in the 11s boost was regulated with a radiator cap for a blow off valve.

Comment

Conventional wisdom has always been that 5.0HOs got forged pistons starting in '86 at the latest.

OP, what's this talk about atmospheric pressures???
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I'm mainly concerned about how much work needs to adjust the engine's powerband, and the rotating assembly's ability (or lack of) to withstand higher-than-sea-level atmospheric pressures during combustion cycle.
                                You driving up Mt. Washington or Everest or something? If you're running a stock 90 lopo and AOD, your power at most would go up to 160hp. That's if you convert it to SEFI.
                                The Explorer 5.0 is still the better way to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X