explorer 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

explorer 5.0

got a chance to get a 2001 5.0 out of an explorer for $475.00 complete from top to bottom. what would need to done to put this in the wagon and what else would i need to make it work??????
    '88' MGM wagon (mine and my sons toy)
    "60" chrysler New Yorker (my project)
    "78" Chevy 1 Ton P/U (yard horse)
    "01" Ford Explorer (wifes DD)
    "93" Chevy Suburban (my DD)

take all the accessories off your lopo and put them on the expo motor and either a SD ecu with the right firing order (cant remember the numbers right now) or and a9p or and a9l mustang mass air ecu and do a mass air conversion. ummmm I think you need to put a double sump oil pan of the lopo on the expo motor, possible flip the intake and do the throttle body flip. Thats about all I can think of right now.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Comment

you wil need aither a d9s or a da1 for sd setup
      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

need the lopo timing cover too. not sure about the oil pan. DX3, D9S are two ecus that come to mind
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

01 has external egr.......better off with a 96 engine

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

ok so i should hold out for a "96" than???? any others or just a "96"???

Comment

Ok so you all have tossed out 6 diff. Ecu's at me and I am confused!!! What one should I look for, dose it make a diff,should I do mass air or speed density, what's easier/better and what is involved in the better one??? Or is it all just preference ????

Comment

Originally posted by grandwagon View Post
                Ok so you all have tossed out 6 diff. Ecu's at me and I am confused!!! What one should I look for, dose it make a diff,should I do mass air or speed density, what's easier/better and what is involved in the better one??? Or is it all just preference ????
                some of us like sd, like me and some like mass-air, sd is faster, but mass-air is easier to tune,and will accept changes better. its a point of preference here i suppose, im hell bent on staying sd, if i need to go mass-air im going carbed!.lol d9s and da1 is sd for mark vii and mustang, a9p, and a9l is mass-air mustang auto and stick respectively.
                89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Don't forget that the TB linkage also needs to be modified for a CV/GM installation!

And you do need to use your original lopo oil pan & distributor!

I've done this, it's not that hard, but I did learned a few things along the way!

Comment

ok so i should hold out for a "96" than???? any others or just a "96"???
                    98+ have P heads and external EGR. 1996 models have non P heads, and internal egr. The difference is the heads and intake (and fuel injectors, the late model ones). The P heads give less choices for headers due to their spark plug angle. If you're not worried about that, and want internal egr, then use either a 96 or 97 intake.

Speed density should work with the P head explorer motor. Mine only gave issues due to a wiring fubar I did 2 years ago when I put the engine in.
                    You need your fuel rail, distributor, sensors and such. If you have an early 5.0 sploder, you can use your TPS on the explorer throttle body. That's 96-98. iirc. The later ones you will need to wire in an explorer TPS to your harness. This is also true for the fuel injectors. The later ones have a different plug.

Comment

ok i think i got it but why would i need to change the dizzy????

Comment

ok i think i got it but why would i need to change the dizzy????
                        Because the explorer doesn't have a distributor?

Comment

it's got them space aged coil "PACKS"......fucking wizardry if you ask me.
                          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

96 cause it has gt40 heads and the upper intake with internal egr

some early 97's with gt40p's have internal egr

you can use the later engines but the intake manifolds wont work unless you do an egr delete or weld a egr tube to the right header

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                              or weld a egr tube to the right header
                              Ugly shit right there...

Comment

Working...
                              X