Anyone Build 302's for MPG? And General Wagon Economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
    "more efficient air management....more cool air in with less restriction,more air(exhaust) out with less restriction,possibly a cold air intake,some porting,then less restrictive exhaust manifolds..."

In reading on engine theory, I do know this can be taken too far... there's tuning involved, deliberately restrictive intakes and exhausts so that the reciprocating "shock wave" of air pressure can help to cram fresh air into cylinders, and help to scavenge exhaust gas out of cylinders. As I understand it, when the the intake valve opens, air rushes in, when it slams shut, that moving air hits the valve, and the pressure front/wave bounces away, hits the next obstacle (throttle plate?) and then bounces again... and you want to time it so that pressure wave arrives at an intake stroke again right when it opens.
    Hence different length runners for different applications, both on the intake manifold past the throttle and on the exhaust runners before the collector: a lopo intake, an HO intake, a truck intake, all designed for different rpms. And variable length intake runners on many modern cars (so, like variable timing, you can be efficient at some lower rpm range, AND switch runner length to develop efficient power at some higher rpm range).
    So don't throw on long tube headers unless the rest of the engine is designed around the very high rpms those give you benefits at.

I'm wondering if the stock lopo isn't a very well engineered engine, even the best for its intended purpose of low-rpm torque and fuel economy, and to just leave the engine bit alone: I like the idea of instead having enough gears in the transmission to just ride the peak torque (and therefore peak fuel econ) curve of the stock lopo all the way.
    yup...the whole shock wave thing is correct....i was referring more towars smoothing out the flow more that opening up for more volume(you start adding to much air,then you need to put in more fuel to keep it from leaning out)....more can be had for the money by lowering the back pressure by changing the exhaust to a dual setup.less restrictive manifolds would probably help too.....all this was said based totally on improving fuel mileage without any concern for any real power gains(a more efficient engine should produce a lil more power,but nothing major,I.E.,the slight gain in HP when going from single to dual exhaust.....)

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
      Honestly, the lopo isn't as terrible as many make it out to be. My winter wagon, with it's 250k mile lopo with very basic mods (HO upper, TB, EGR spacer, 1.7 rr's, factory stang headers, 2.5" exhaust, a/c and smog delete, and a full tune-up), runs really well. It still pulls 22mpg with 3.55's out back and a very shitty AOD.
      Agreed....the stock setup(stock LOPO with SEFI) is actually pretty good considering everything(federal emisson standards,driveability,fuel mileage,durability etc....) however ,EVERYTHING needs to be in good to great shape to get good fuel numbers(good,even compression,no vacuum leaks,good cooling etc)....basically,without spending gobs of money,a good hot ignition,and a less restrictive exhaust is money spent wisely,a "cold air" kit may help some also. there may also may be a minimal gain by using a "lighter" oil,5w20 instead of 10w30 for example.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2012, 05:53 PM. Reason: dam typos

Comment

cruise control uses more gas never touch mine

Comment

Holy zombie thread there, guy!
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

at least it was only 3 years old. Always fun when someone posts to a thread that's a decade old.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'd call him a boner but I've done the same thing. Lol

Comment

I got 20-21 Highway at 70mph with a Phead lopo longblock, HO cam, HO upper/tb combo with a AOD and 4.10's. In town I got about 17... 8-10 if I drove that thing like an ahole. (which was often)

Comment

You want to hypermile these biatches, get an '88-91 (my first car was '88 LTD), I did true-duals with no crossover, glasspacks etc, 2.73 or 2.83 single-wheel-peel rear end, and set the cruise control at 55-60. I did so back in the day, and starting out the trip with 19 miles on the trip odometer, had 420 on it from Northeast Ohio all the way down through the back roads of Charleston, WV and BACK 1 tank trip. 28.5 mpg (@55mph pissing off all the truckers on the way). Oh, and I also had 4-12" subs in a box and a 1000w amp running the entire time.

Of course the '98-'02 I had blew this out of the water, on the flat roads in NE Ohio the 70 mile trip to Cleveland routinely showed 32.5 (to 33.0 if you could draft a Semi, not on his ass, just run behind one a safe distance) with the cruise control set at 60-62 mph. Same crappy highway gears 2.73 or 2.83s whichever. This is with 212k on the driveline when we got it! 30 mpg at 70, my dad just chimed in.
                  Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 09-04-2015, 11:53 AM. Reason: his ass
                  Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Low speed really is the trick. 50-55mph is the butter zone with 2.73's. Our speed limits on major highways are 62mph. Find a truck or bus that's driving predictability and just below the speed limit, then just concentrate on smoothly keeping a reasonable distance behind them. My two real long runs doing mostly that were over 23-27 mpg in a badly tuned somewhat heavily filled 351w car.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

My car just feels so much more solid at 70 though. Its out of the exhaust drone RPM range, and the motor is at a speed where its making power. It would do better if I could stand being nearly run over at 55.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My '89 didn't show any significant mileage difference between 55 or 70mph (3.08 gears) doing steady state interstate cruising. Once you are up to speed, it is just loafing along anyway.

Alex.

Comment

3.55 for me, so I'm already at an RPM disadvantage. Its a car utterly lacking in aerodynamics so I really don't expect miracles. Maybe someday I'll see about putting a splash pan underneath to help smooth out the underside, but only if I can do so without making it a cumbersome PITA to actually work on the car.
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                            My '89 didn't show any significant mileage difference between 55 or 70mph (3.08 gears) doing steady state interstate cruising. Once you are up to speed, it is just loafing along anyway.

Alex.
                            Same here.
                            The Battle wagon with it's tired lopo and 3.55's got 24mpg on the way back from Detroit with the cruise @ 75. These cars excel in the 70-80mph range.
                            The new wagon with a HO and 3.08's got 22.1 on the way back from Scott's @ 70.
                            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I've never broken 18 with any consistency. The stock motor managed 14 at it's best. Its not just my driving habits either, other people have driven it to the same shite fuel economy.

Comment

my 88 gets 21 on the highway with the 3.55 gears. In town, it's 15 though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                Originally posted by gadget73
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X