Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60mm vs 65mm TB?

Hey--

I'm on a tight schedule to get a lot done on my car.
    I've bought a gt40 intake, because too many people have told me it's the next bottleneck, to ignore.

Now, I put on an HO intake last year, and modified an HO egr spacer to hold our throttle linkage, and the HO throttle body to hold the stock little lever thingy (formal term is?): you know, the stamped sheet metal lever that the tv cable, cruise control, and throttle cable all hang off of.

I'm wondering: are the benefits of an exploder 65mm throttle body going to be noticeable at the 2000-5000 operational rpm range I'm looking to optimize for, over the 60mm throttle body?

In the interest of time, since I might not find a machine shop fast enough, I'm thinking to just buy a carbide burr and to taper my egr spacer from 60 to 65mm to match the upper intake plenum, and otherwise reuse the 60mm tb and 60mm egr spacer?

If a tapered/ blended mating of the smaller egr spacer to the slightly larger upper intake plenum opening should flow fine, AND 60mm isn't meaningfully restrictive at 5000rpm, then I'll go ahead with that.
    Let me know your advice and input.

thanks!
    -Bernard

i did an experimental peice with a stock lopo spacer to the expo 65mm tb i widened it out in the shape of a velocity stack, dont know how well it will work, but will be duplicated ona good spacer and applied, once i get another panther again.
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Tappered spacer works. Sometimes better than a straight one. Will a 65 be better than a 60 depends on engine build. Could also cause need for some reprograming of the ECM to get things spot on.
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

awesome: I'll keep my already-rigged HO throttle body, taper the already-rigged HO egr spacer, and call it a day.
        And right, I've been asking about the reprogramming, which only make sense: although most people say there are no issues that they can tell in performance, anyway; no weird behaviors.

Comment

I was just thinking the Exploper TB had a differtly wired TPS throttlelikage or something. Need for programing depends on a lot of other things. Just because one goes from a 60 to 65 dosent mean the engine will flow more air or make more power.
          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
          X