No announcement yet.

255 tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You really want to create an H pipe on that thing. It will help improve torque production, and that motor needs all the help it can get. The standard fix for the 255 is to install something else. Short of that, I'd make sure its properly tuned up, maybe try re-curving the distributor or tweaking the carb to see if that can eek out any extra performance, and basically just run it like it is.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

my original plan was to rebuild until i found out how pointless it would. a carb rebuild may be in her future but definitely a good tuning... as of now it takes a good 15 pumps when its cold out to even start and it usually stalls. once running shes good though. so a tune up is coming headers and thats about it. i cant do much with the H pipe... 150 bucks while probably good deal is out of my range being unemployed.. ima have to do some ghetto fab work and use my original downpipes
      Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
      Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
      Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

might put my own H in custom.. but i have to see how much pipe i have
        Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
        Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
        Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

probably needs a timing chain among other things
          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Do you have factory 2" duals on it now? You said glasspacks, indicating you already have duals but maybe you meant only one. Anyways if you want to you could just straight pipe where the cats were and scrap them, then run stock duals into glasspacks, that will flow a lot better than stock. I put stock duals on my Lincoln, but kept the cats and ditched the mufflers. I should have ditched the cats and had catless downpipes made but oh well, it was my daily driver and taking the manifolds off and adding headers to use a Mustang H-pipe would have taken more than a day so that wasn't an option, but next time i'll grab a set of Mustang shorties and have downpipes made to fit my Walker stuff, maybe use 2.25" to 2" straight pipe all the way out, might not sound bad but i'm rambling and hopefully giving you ideas.

Anywho the 255 could greatly benefit from deleting the cats and using stock duals, that would help keep torque low where you need and and it'd flow decent at the hp peak.
            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

i literally have an elbo coming off the manifold into a 3ft section of straight pipe, no H or Y or X pipe just 2 separate 2 1/4 pipes into 2 separate thrush glass packs.

my plan is to use all the stuff i currently have. but swap in the headers and weld up my current pipes to get rid of my curreent leaks. and extend the pipes to exit one on each side in front of the rear wheels.

Comment

the headers are OEM mustang 5.0 shortys.. and when i put the straight pipe back in im gonna weld in a piece to connect the 2 sides thus creating my own H pipe

Comment

That's kinda like my setup I have temporarily on my car. I have mustang shorties into 2 2.25 inch down pipes which go to some cheap dynomax mufflers and dumped at the axle.

I basically took the whole setup from a mark vii I found in the junkyard and welded it up to make it fit ok. I was pretty lucky to find a custom no cat setup.

If your downpipes are going to be 2.25 inch it should be fine. I don't have an h pipe or anything connecting my 2 sides and it doesn't sound bad or feel like a restriction. You would probably want one eventually though.

Only bad thing I can say about the shorties is my passenger one melted my o2 connector a little, but that was my stupid fault.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

i dont have that worry cause o2 sensors are for EFI correct?.. i have a carb conversion from the prev. owner..

Comment

Part of the reason for the crossover, H or X pipe is that with true-dual (seperate pipes) exhaust, the pipes will resonate and drone like a sonofabitch at certain speeds/rpms. You don't want to be going 55 down the road and your inner ear being messed with (can make you dizzy/give you one hell of a headache).
                      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Oh, and are we supposed to number our tips? I don't see how we can get up to two hundred and fify-five of them!
                        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

upon taking the manifolds off. ive found that i had a factory 2" input into the cats. i dont know if it was 2" out.. im assuming so but i dont know. that went to a Y and out the back..

my setup i cut the cats off and used 2 1/4 from there back..

will my 2" pieces off the manifolds fit on the new headers?.. if not.. im shit outta luck for exhaust for a while..

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
                            Part of the reason for the crossover, H or X pipe is that with true-dual (seperate pipes) exhaust, the pipes will resonate and drone like a sonofabitch at certain speeds/rpms. You don't want to be going 55 down the road and your inner ear being messed with (can make you dizzy/give you one hell of a headache).
                            try 65 down the highway with the glasspacks under the back floorboards... yeaaaaaa

Comment

Dead silent at 70.

2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post
                                upon taking the manifolds off. ive found that i had a factory 2" input into the cats. i dont know if it was 2" out.. im assuming so but i dont know. that went to a Y and out the back..

my setup i cut the cats off and used 2 1/4 from there back..

will my 2" pieces off the manifolds fit on the new headers?.. if not.. im shit outta luck for exhaust for a while..
                                If you have 2" down pipes bolted to your current manifolds they will not bolt to mustang shorties. The mustang headers are 2.25 inches. Stock anyway I'm not sure about any aftermarkets.

And yeah o2's are for fuel injection.

Also without an h pipe I do have some resonance at about 15-20 mph but its not that bad.
                                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Working...
                                X