Good head and HO cam combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good head and HO cam combo

Looking into purchasing new heads and a cam for my 87 engine. Engine will be an HO and probably mass air depending on the size of cam etc etc. Any knowledgeable suggestions? Links would be great..

Also..pushrods...they would have to be changed out too right? Looking for an all around nice big upgrade and the specifics of what I'd need. Will be bolting onto my existing 87 engine. with a tubular GT 40 intake and 19lb injectors, lightning egr spacer and tb.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

David,

If you are going H/C/I, you should use 24lb inj. I have run an HO short, W/Ford motorsport GT40X heads & an F cam & Exp intake w/70mm t-body. It had lots of torque & didn't need to be revved high to get the job done. It went 11.90 in a 32ish w/driver k lb car.

J

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

The intake and injectors are going to hold you back. With just my cammed explorer engine I needed 24's. I'd just get a TFS top end kit and the small TFS cam and call it a day.

And you also want to get a tune, I put down more power with my motor than a X headed FRPP crate engine.

I think a nice combo is the old GT40 exploder heads and the XE258 cam. The 264 I run is a bit much. But it's still a lot of fun to drive. Just lacks a bit of low end grunt. However, tonight after comparing it to the stock wagon.... Good lord.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I'm gonna agree on the 24# injectors. With my gt40p's and TFS 1 my 19's are just to small.

Also a tune is a must, or at least play around with a quarterhorse + BE&EA to at least get things to play right with each other.

I'm still running stock pushrods with my combo (with decked heads and block), and they were also used with the old engine with had gt40p's and an HO cam. You'll probably have to actually check for the proper length though. I guarantee my valve train geometry is not perfect by any means.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

thumper e7's and 19's run like raped ape and get good fuel economy

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I am not getting rid of the tubular intake, and I can pick up a set of 24lb injectors...I sorta had that in the back of my mind that those would be needed.

I already have an A9P handy so I guess that quarterhouse integrates with the computer? What on earth is an BE&EA?

This geometry stuff is what gets me all worked up and worried. I'd like to just take everything off the existing block and bolt on all the new stuff (like a matched set) and ensure it is good. I will look into the TFS top end kit. Maybe that will come as a matched set including pushrods and rocker arms??

Thanks everyone so far.
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Okay I looked on summit racing about the TFS top end kit. NICE! I did it piecemeal and I can save over 1200 by not purchasing an intake (already have), gasket kit (already have) intake bolt kit (already have).

Now the 1.6 rockers that come in the kit......will those clear stock mustang cast aluminum valve covers? I will search as well. Then all I would need to purchase are timing cover gasket, water pump gasket and some other things probably. BUt save a bunch of money and have the kit that I want.
              ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                I am not getting rid of the tubular intake, and I can pick up a set of 24lb injectors...I sorta had that in the back of my mind that those would be needed.

I already have an A9P handy so I guess that quarterhouse integrates with the computer? What on earth is an BE&EA?

This geometry stuff is what gets me all worked up and worried. I'd like to just take everything off the existing block and bolt on all the new stuff (like a matched set) and ensure it is good. I will look into the TFS top end kit. Maybe that will come as a matched set including pushrods and rocker arms??

Thanks everyone so far.
                BE and EA are abbreviations for software that analyzes and helps you understand computer values. BE-Binary Editor, is the software that allows you to change values in operating tables of the A9P and many other ford computers. This works with the Quarterhorse (which is plugged into the back of the computer via a sealed plug known as the J3 iirc). With the use of a laptop you can datalog values and adjust things for your optimum air fuel ratio, MAF curve (VERY IMPORTANT!!!), idle stuff, injector size, firing order, emissions delete. All kinds of stuff. EA-EEC Analyzer is another piece of software that helps you determine (given what you've discovered in your datalogs) what values to change. Amongst other things. I never really got into EA since I haven't had the car in a while.

Comment

Okay I looked on summit racing about the TFS top end kit. NICE! I did it piecemeal and I can save over 1200 by not purchasing an intake (already have), gasket kit (already have) intake bolt kit (already have).

Now the 1.6 rockers that come in the kit......will those clear stock mustang cast aluminum valve covers? I will search as well. Then all I would need to purchase are timing cover gasket, water pump gasket and some other things probably. BUt save a bunch of money and have the kit that I want.
                  The TFS kit is really nice. I really regret not using my TFS 170's when I put my 89 back together.

According to tmoss, one of his ported lower Explorer intakes is not a restriction at all on the TFS heads. The stock Explorer upper intake isn't really a restriction at all, and since you have the tubular Cobra one which flows a touch better anyways, you'll be golden. He also recommends running a 70mm TB.

Just google tmoss ported intake for more info. Expect to pay ~$160 to have him port a lower Explorer intake for TFS heads.

I just went out and checked, looks like stock HO valve covers fit no problem.

The 1.6 TF roller rockers are beautiful by the way. The top end kit comes with these pushrods, but it is probably worth buying an adjustable pushrod to check the actual length you will need. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-21406700

John summed up Binary Editor and EEC Analyzer. You only need to worry about that stuff if your tuning the car yourself.

Again, I really regret not using my TF heads on the 89, but I'm saving them for the 87. At the same tine, you can make damn good power on gt40p's. There's foxbody folks running 11's with untouched p's (other than valve springs).

2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                  1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Aww that is great! Love all of the information. I will definitely be purchasing the pieced together TFS top end kit down the line.

Now one thing I have noticed is that lifters are not included in the TFS kit. Do I reuse old ones??

Also any ford engines I can rob the 24lb injectors off of and rebuild them myself.....I already have the rebuild kits.

Also would this gasket kit fit my application? (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fe...5449/overview/) Not sure if there are differences I should be aware of between mustang (normal applications) and mine.
                    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 04-07-2013, 03:19 PM.
                    ~David~

Comment

I'm not sure how much of a concern PTV clearance is, but I've always heard good things about Anderson grinds, for an OTS grind. The N21, or N41, depending on rockers. For OTS heads, I don't thiink you can beat TW 170s on a 302.

Mike says the 264 lacks lower end. Your coupe is lighter than his wagon, and with a looser converter, you probably wouldn't notice any issues, especially with 3.73s, or 4.10s.

I have an early SD HO grind in my car, installed straight up (dot-dot), with an air gap, a 600 DP, and a NLU 3200 stall Dirty Dog converter. And the car rips with the 3.73s. I thought I'd have to clearance the pistons to run the N41, and I didn't want to deal with that. So I just stuck with the HO.

I'm putting a stroker big block and a stick in my car anyway . Didn't want to spend too much on the 302, .
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Well guys I have been thinking...Scott is onto something. All I really wanted was a simple upgrade to an HO or a bit better motor. I really do not want to get into all of this tuning stuff. Swapping in a cam and slapping on some ported gt heads or something similar is more of what I was always looking for.

Right now I think I am looking for just a boost over the stock HO and remain with 19lb injectors and hopefully an untouched a9p computer. Any suggestions on heads and cams that wont indefinitely require me to get a tune?
                        ~David~

Comment

Even a stock HO can make a bunch of power with a tune.

Any upgrade over a stock HO will require tuning. Just some exhaust port cleanup on a set of E7s will help a little. The HO is a good upgrade from a lopo and is nice because of the stockness.
                          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Well guys I have been thinking...Scott is onto something. All I really wanted was a simple upgrade to an HO or a bit better motor. I really do not want to get into all of this tuning stuff. Swapping in a cam and slapping on some ported gt heads or something similar is more of what I was always looking for.

Right now I think I am looking for just a boost over the stock HO and remain with 19lb injectors and hopefully an untouched a9p computer. Any suggestions on heads and cams that wont indefinitely require me to get a tune?

HO cam with ported e7's or gt40p's

Comment

IIRC, the capri went low-mid 12's w/ stock cam, t -body, gasket matched heads w/ egr bumps removed...

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Working...
                              X