No announcement yet.

Fuel Tank and Sending Unit Issues "Pump on Engine Application"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the 93 vic is like that. the Mark is like the 88.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Still waiting on (3) fuel tanks from Canadian supplier. I mailed (at their expense) my internally rusted Ford tank as a "master" so they could fabricate mine according to all factory safety equipment and applications.
      Should be able to advance this thread and discuss all the other issues, problems, and fixes soon. In the meanwhile, thank you to the folks who have been watching this forum thread !!! Stan

Comment

tristarrradiator.com they rebuild your old sending unit you send them give them a call.

Comment

Actually I have talked to those folks. Seems to me I could be hit for over 200 bucks real fast. I am working with Spectra Premium on fuel tank issues with the 1990 CVPI w/5.8L eng. I am expecting three fuel tanks to be delivered to my local O'Reilly's store any day now. I'll be posting pics and working through the sending unit issues as well. Thanks for the lead and interest in this thread!!!

Comment

Lighter in the wallet by almost 5 Ben Franklins. I received my fuel tank order (all three of them) today. All three tanks look good! The fun begins when I get weather break (most likely Monday). All boxes were opened before I picked them up by O'Reilly's employees to inspect for damage and or missing parts. Think they just wanted to see if the factory bends and contours were followed. I will be advancing this thread with pics next week. More mayhem to follow!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0692.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1273265Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0694.jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1273266Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0697.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1273267
              I unpacked all the tanks I purchased and gave them a good visual inspection. The factory (Spectra Premium) actually sequenced the tanks 001 thru 003. The hole they drilled on tank #1 (to accommodate the neck bracket/support) was a bit closer to the tank flange than the other two so I started with it to make sure it would fit properly. Spectra Premium also changed their normal welds to match up with the Ford's (see pic showing cross-hatched weld instead of a continuous weld with a radius at each corner). All in all, all three tanks look really good !!!!
              You'll have to refer back to compare the new and "new" design.

The first car was my 1990 CVPI plum color. Everything went well on the install but a few installation tips follow:
              1. Separate the "tank vent" from the rubber grommet before trying to install it in the new tank. The grommet is much easier to install and seal if you do it with the plastic vent out. Simply press the plastic vent through the grommet after it's installed in the new tank.
              2. The Dorman 577-502 Neck Gasket worked very well (put a bit of WD40 or Silicon on it before pressing the neck through it (push'n is much easier with a bit of lube). BTW, not many catalogs list this neck grommet/gasket for the 5.8L PI option. Rockauto had the best price!
              3. Well, this is a rant and not a tip, why someone would cut the straps and install new ones.....omg a waste of funds. Take the straps loose at the top first; this gives you enough slack to remove the pins in the bottom mounts.
              Still have a bit of an issue with the sending units. The rust has really wreaked havoc on the resistors.
              Tomorrow, I'll be doing the tank on the 91 CVPI.

Comment

VICTORY!

now everyone else will benefit from your tenacity.

you da mang!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Thanks Sly but many of you folks here have been following this thread and lending good advise. I have to say that once I found the right person to discuss my problem with at Spectra Premium I was able to get satisfaction. It took five or six calls to Canada, but I finally got the speak with a fellow named Kai Ng. Many thanks for a job well done at Spectra by Kai's F3-product team. I hope that anyone reading this thread for information about their box panther is able to glean enough usable information to repair their car with confidence. I am honored to be able to contribute information to this group of dedicated Ford/Merc fans. I was able to get my local O'Reilly's store to handle the retail order and retail sale as Spectra Premium does not sell to the public except through an authorized retailer. O'Reilly's also price matched the RockAuto price for me and they worked the order through the special order desk to have it drop shipped directly to Winston Salem, NC instead of their depot in the mid-west.

Comment

Name:	DSCN0701.jpg
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	1273281Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0702.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1273282Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0703.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1273283Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0704.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1273284
                    So today the 91 got the rear end jacked up and the tank yanked! Damn! The tank was trash inside and out, the sending unit was almost a total loss and the neck was rusty beyond repair. So a couple of quick calls around and the parts are on the way. Don't let your Panther sit with Ethanol enriched gasoline in it.

Comment

Name:	DSCN0712.jpg
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1273297Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0711.jpg
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1273298Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0708.jpg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1273299Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0709.jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1273300Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0705.jpg
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	1273301Latest in the tank saga, purchased a filler neck from FillerNeckSupply and received a 1.96" filler neck tube with incorrect bends to match up with mine. All my 90 and 91 units have a 2.25" diameter neck. The dimensions don't line up !! QUESTION: when did Ford change the 2.25" neck to a 1.96" neck and what size is the neck in a 90-91 CV or GM?? The circumference is around 6 3/8" for the 1.96" and 7" for the 2.25" neck. Can someone please comment, fillernecksupply is trying to question my integrity or something.....don't think they want a return or something.....not sure.

Comment

I'd figure it was with the change to the whales. my 93 still uses the fat pipe IIRC.

Comment

Very cool that you were able to get tanks made. Its nice to find a manufacturer that will even do that sort of thing anymore. Don't have an answer on the fill neck thing. I had no idea they made them smaller at any point, but I don't spend any amount of time on the round cars, beyond what is involved with stripping one for box parts. The fuel tank isn't on the list of things I fool with on those.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks to you Sly and Gadget for your input on this, what I found is that some folks in the parts industry are using flawed or incorrect information on the 90 and 91 Panthers.
                            All of my Vics use the large diameter (2.25") filler neck and they do not have a rubber inner tube (inside the metal neck). FillerNeckSupply sent FedEx to pick up the unit I ordered from them but it's clear to me that they really don't have correct information in their catalogs or parts files. I checked all my 88 CVPIs and they also use a 2.25" neck. I suspect that all 5.0L V8 equipped CVs and GMs also use this larger neck and what was send to me was incorrectly labeled in their warehouse. So buyer beware!! Send good digital pictures of your needs to anyone offering parts for your Panther. I have had a terrible time finding sending units as has been well documented on this thread!!! Today, the UPS guy delivered me two F0AZ9275B sending units!!! Eureka, finally someone had the correct parts plus I'd rate them a 97% out of a 100% in their condition. So more ammunition for anyone with a 5.8L CVPI, this Ford part is accurate for a 1990 & 1991 model. Not sure where Green Sales found them and paid more than Ford's old list price, but I'm glad they didn't RAPE me for them. To the fellow in NY state who wanted over 200 bucks + 30 shipping, kiss it!

My question still stands "Does anyone know what year Ford changed the fuel filler neck to a 1.96" dia unit with a rubber inner core"?? The folks at FillerNeckSupply really need updated information and I'm sure the question could be answered on this forum.

Comment

after 93 for sure. I'd wager 95/96 when the OBD-II shenanigans started.

Comment

Well its been a while since I posted on this thread. Two CVPIs are now sporting new fuel tanks, sending units, and neck gaskets. Since the next car is an 88, I have been looking for a sending unit for it. This week, Green Sales Company is showing stock on the unit I need. So the first two were 75.00 each. When I called about the SU for the 88, they hit me with 165.00. Wow, I must really look like a sucker. Give me a break, these things sold all day long for less than 50.00 (with a List Price of 69.) from Ford. I asked the guy at Green Sales what made this unit different from the one's I bought for the 90-91. Of course he didn't know it's all based on that price they "gave for it"...Really? You could have fooled me, looks like it's price on pure GREED and a returning customer. Is there really anyone out here working on this crap but me?

Comment

Working...
                                X