No announcement yet.

Four-bangers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A boost value is no indication of how much air is moving through the engine.

20 psi through a stock HO is alot different than 20 psi through a a purpose built turbo 302.

That being said, sick88tbird is correct in raising an eyebrow.

In theory (meaning on paper, with no losses), it would take a 500+ hp 302 NA to make 1200 hp on 20 pounds of boost. That is stout 302, and the bottom end would have to be built to the moon to put 20 psi on it and shoot for the lower end of the 1200-1600 psi estimate.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Ever see the add my name is Bob Natkin I invented eco boost. 20+ years ago Working on a design for him to inject air directly into the combustion chamber. I said why not go with direct injection which is good for about a 25% increase in power. He tol me it was a stupid idea. I always pushed back in those days about using turbos also especially on small engines to make power yet better economy. They were pushing trucks at the time and didnt really care about their cars.

As for old school technology the only realy new thing is using electronics to control everything. Most all else except hydraulic lifters was done as early as steam engine design
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by sick88tbird View Post
        Is the rest of the world missing out on your unicorn piss injection system?
        I el oh el'ed

Comment

Originally posted by sick88tbird View Post
          It would take some serious hardware to do so...or just lowering compression to 4:1 perhaps...all joking aside, a 351w with AFR 205 CNC'd heads, custom turbo cam and TFS-R intake made 974hp with twin T76 turbos and race gas at 19.8 lbs, as tested by MM&FF.

Some of your guesstimates seem a little fantastical. Is the rest of the world missing out on your unicorn piss injection system? If low compression turbo engines were the best, that's what we'd all be using currently. Instead we're finding ways of raising compression with boost, including OEM's. Your rationale is based off the 80's and early 90's knowledge of automotive turbocharger technology, when they were still considered to be voo-doo and black magic.

The world's most intelligent people thought the world was flat once upon a time...just saying.
          ^^^This. You can't just throw 20 pounds of boost at anything and expect it to make power. Some things respond better than others, and some things, like a 302, may just come apart. There are plenty of small blocks that WILL make 1000hp on 20 pounds, but there's a hell of a lot more done that low compression and a turbo. A good indicator of this would be doing some reading on what NMRA cars run these days. Before tuning technology had caught up, most people did run lower compression with boost. However, that's a pretty old-hat way of doing things, unnecessary, and less efficient. There's a reason newer vehicles are making the numbers they do, and it's not archaic thinking + rainbows.

Comment

surely the rainbows help?
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

nah... it's all about the cupcakes

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                surely the rainbows help?
                Only when used in conjunction with unicorn/pegasus urine...the rainbow is what activates it.
                '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Back on topic, I've always liked the idea of a 2.5 from a ranger with a ported Eaton M90(with silencer holes welded shut), a custom cam, everything port-matched and a custom longtube header with 1 3/4" primaries.

Probably not the best setup in the world, but I SPECULATE that it may be capable of mid-20's MPG on the highway and upwards of 230hp with a like amount of torque.
                  '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

yOU MEAN THE STROKED 2.3 FROM PINTOS

Comment

Not a fan of Heaton blowers, unless I were to acquire one very cheap. Rather use a Whipple Twin Screw, but still prefer a simple Procharger and air-to-air intercooler.
                      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                        yOU MEAN THE STROKED 2.3 FROM PINTOS
                        That's the one. It's been around long enough and has pretty strong aftermarket support, especially considering the 2.3's are still used in the Pony Stock class...or whatever it's called these days.

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                        Not a fan of Heaton blowers, unless I were to acquire one very cheap. Rather use a Whipple Twin Screw, but still prefer a simple Procharger and air-to-air intercooler.
                        A Whipple would be much better, but I have an Eaton M90 that I got for nothing waiting to be put to use. The best thing is that you wouldn't have to spin it very fast to make boost, less heat that way.

I almost used it on a subaru 2.5 but the owner backed out...I could only find one other Subaru with an M90 and it was a real butcher job...made 5lbs with stock pulleys...it's probably not far off from being a 1:1 pulley ratio! Lol Subaru crank pulleys are fairly small and gen III M90's have a pretty huge blower pulley.

Comment

I did a lot of work on those engines for Ford engineering to convert it to a 2.5. Saved them millions of dollars. Solved assembly issues at the Lima plant. Before that was designing a dual runner intake, a variable length intake, a split port head, a twin cam version, a turbo twin cam, improved oiling, its aluminum structural oil pan, other stuff.

While building a 2.3 years before working at ended up building a couple others for mini stock locals. tHE PINTO 2.3 i BUILT WOULD OUT RUN A STOCK turbo 2.3.
                          After putting about 4K on it pulled it scrapped the pinto. Sat in my garage for around 30 years installed it in a ranger 2.0. gave it to my son. everyone my son met went off on the way it ran. 3 or four months someone ran a red light and totaled it. engine cost me 2800 to build that motor wish I HAD IT BACK could care less about the truck.

Comment

It's pretty cool how people are pulling 260hp+ from these things...aftermarket blocks capable of over 3.0l, billet cranks, wild cams and the list goes on. Local racers seem to be more in the 170-180hp range...still more than a non-intercooled turbo 2.3.

Comment

I remember after a break in driving the pinto it was in to fla pulling 28 to 32 mpg cruising at 70 to 85 MPH. Kept wishing I could find a 5 speed for it still have the pinto 4 speed in back. One night late on the way home from a drive a vett passed me going around 100 MPH I nailed it and passed the vett doing about 120 (he didnt even try to catch me) could smell the new clutch burning as it couldnt hold the power and the tach was still climbing.

Comment

Working...
                              X