Cheating the System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by P72Crazy View Post
    So in NJ, were the inspectors looking for physical devices to be present or sniffing the tailpipe for HC/CO readings? Can't believe the inspectors were just looking for paint color as a tip for "tampering with a pollution controlled vehicle"......Hate that term, you can't convert a "pollution controlled vehicle" to run CNG.....stupid bastards (EPA that is).
    Sniffer up the pipe, and a visual to confirm the converters are present. Thats it. I have never had a state inspector open the hood of my cars or fail me for any of the removed emissions nonsense. They've never confirmed if the engine in the vehicle was the correct one either. HC/CO at idle and fast idle (like 2000 rpm) is all you get now. At one point they had a dyno thing that also checked NOx for pre-OBD2 cars, but they removed that. OBD2 gets plugged in, but as long as the check engine light is not on, you go straight through. They will emissions test any regularly tagged vehicle. If you ran a Model T with regular (non-historic) plates, you'd get the same sniffer my 91 Mark VII gets. Different standards I assume, but it would still have to pass something. None of this for historic tags, but you have mileage restrictions and I believe you also must own a regularly-tagged vehicle. I used to pay for private inspections on my 68 and the 73 Beetle because the carbs were shot and it wouldn't pass the sniffer otherwise. The place I went had some old wagon in the back room as the sniffer victim.

No safety inspection at all, which is the part I'd much rather they do. I could give a damn if the guy with the old car has a converter, I want his brakes to work. At one point they were checking lights, wipers, horn, suspension, tires and brakes but that all quit within the last 10 years. I forget exactly when they gave up on it but it wasn't all that long ago. Basically the reason cited was not enough cars were failing, so that somehow proved they were safe enough to not bother inspecting. I fail to comprehend the logic of this.
    Last edited by gadget73; 12-17-2013, 06:04 PM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Etest goes easy here, only if you fail I think they would bother to look if you had cats on the car, even then, they just give you the fail notice and tell you to go get it repaired and come back for a retest.
      What will get you here though is the e-police. Yes, e-police. There is a group of ontario mto cops who go around doing nothing but roadside smog inspections. Not a sniffer test, but a visual to see if you have all your factory installed emmsions equipment in place. Have a pass from the actual e-test? doesn't matter if something is missing. 250 bucks per missing item and an order to get it repaired and come back for a full tilt mto inspection.

Alex.

Comment

More government

Comment

Someone please stop this thread. My BP is as high as a Georgia pine. Incredible!

Comment

I don't get smog nazis here. If I have the sticker in the window, its fine. Every 2 years that gets done.

California gets quite retarded as I understand it. I've heard stories of people failing for having the wrong air cleaner on their vehicle. I don't know how true that is, but they seem overly tardy out there.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X