Which Springs for gt40p's???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Springs for gt40p's???

Alright I'm finally getting around to working on my set of heads. I've got a set of gt40p heads to go onto my 88 302 I'm building and regardless of my cam choice (not quite sure yet, probably either B303 or TFS1) I have read that replacing springs in these heads is a must.

In my reading of which springs are good, through many mustang forums, I have narrowed it down to 3 choices.

Trick Flow TFS-2500100

This kit looks pretty good and comes with everything I think i would need, its rated to handle enough lift that I would throw at them with much room to spare.

Crane beehive kit

A little more pricey but if the beehive style is better its probably worth it, I really have no clue. Also rated to handle even higher lift than the TF springs, though still over what I'll be dealing with.

Then there's these from Alex's Parts. They are decently cheaper than the other two, and I have read good reviews on Mustang forums about them. Never read anything bad from anyone who has used them, just bad things from people who were too scared to try them lol. They are rated to handle .560 lift which again is more than i'll have.
    Alex's Parts Specializes in: Valve Spring Kits for GT40, GT40P, LT1, Vortec, LS1 Valve Spring Kits, Beehive Springs, Valve locks and Viton Valve Seals.

I have researched this thoroughly on Mustang sites, but I feel that you guys can lead me better than them so I figured i'd post here before buying anything. I feel like I'm looking more towards the Trick Flows since I have read more good reviews about them, but the Alex's Parts ones don't seem too bad for the money, but could sacrifice quality. If anyone here has used them I would love the input. I have never built heads before so this is a learning experience for me.

Thanks!
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

The Trick Flow are the ones I've seen most used on these cars at least, It's what I have used as well.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I just disassembled my heads the other day and was wondering about this, I'm not putting it together until it's warm so I have time.

Sent from the crapper
      1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

I run the bee hive crane springs. If your build requires the special retainers I have a set. iF YOU CAN PURCHASE THE SPRINGS SEPERATE I would sell the retainers.
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I think I'm leaning more towards the trick flow springs. Did the crane kit come with everything? I'm not sure about the special retainers you're talking about that's why I ask.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

The set in the summit link has the retainers needed with the shorter valves used in the E7 heads. Not sure about the GT40 heads thinking there the same valve height. Havent set up or ported aset of 40Ps for a few years. Also have special valve locks because the intake valve ht is different than the exhaust.

Comment

I have the TFS kit on 2 of my mustangs (gt40's) and the alex kit on my daily driver mustang (gt40p's)..........no complaints on either but if i were to ever buy another set i would probably lean toward the alex kit just based on price, both fit fine for me with stock rockers and small cams...........just comes down to personal preference and cost........BTW wahts the rest of your set-up? B -cam may not be the best choice in a heavy auto car..........
              Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

I'm between those 2 kits as well. Both look identical and seems like I'm just paying for the name. So far I don't have much set in stone. I'm still undecided on a cam, although probably e cam would be better than a b cam, the E seems to have more low end torque which I want.

I'll probably get the tf springs unless they aren't in stock at summit otherwise I'll order the Alex springs.

Comment

I run a custom cam thats almost the same as the B cam just a bit more lift. Run the Crane springs with the taller and larger Ferriea valves. Used Mannly titianiam retainers. Seat pressuer 140 open 460. Before had dual springs and would float around 6400 now think 7800 might be my shift point.

Guess I should mention usally cheeper springs are made out of cheeper metal. Thats coming from my 45 years of porting heads.
                  Last edited by turbo2256b; 02-03-2014, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Blue View Post
                    I have the TFS kit on 2 of my mustangs (gt40's) and the alex kit on my daily driver mustang (gt40p's)..........no complaints on either but if i were to ever buy another set i would probably lean toward the alex kit just based on price, both fit fine for me with stock rockers and small cams...........just comes down to personal preference and cost.........
                    I've read a lot of good things about the Alex kit on corral, I'll probably go that way the next time I grab some junk heads.
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                      I've read a lot of good things about the Alex kit on corral, I'll probably go that way the next time I grab some junk heads.
                      Exactly what i did............junkyard gt40p's with a handlap valve job, alex springs and a eyeball "they're okay look".....bolted on and went racing/driving......have roughly $200 in the set ($70 for heads, 120ish for springs/shims shipped)..........not something i recommend but works for me lol.......
                      Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

I think the Alex's spring kit is the best drop in kit for the least amount of money.
                        87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
                        Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

Comment

Working...
                        X