Headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headers

So I've been looking at getting some headers to put on in the spring. I've seen off brands on ebay for as cheap as $100. Are they worth it? If they're junk I won't bother. I really don't want to spend more than $125-150. I plan on using an off-road h-pipe cause I know the stock one won't work with headers. I know Lincoln logs will work with both the off-road and the stock h-pipe I believe. I'd use those if I could get them cheap.

'93 T-bird
    '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
    '88 Mark VII
    '86 CV

I also forgot to mention it's for a lopo 302. Also is there any advantage or disadvantage to using an aftermarket header vs. a stock H.O. stang header on a stock lopo 302?

'93 T-bird
    '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
    '88 Mark VII
    '86 CV

Comment

I do believe the advantage of LL's is that they will work with P heads and bolt to your stock exhaust.
      1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Originally posted by purplebomb302 View Post
        Also is there any advantage or disadvantage to using an aftermarket header vs. a stock H.O. stang header on a stock lopo 302?
        Aftermarket gives you room to "grow" if you add heads/intake etc. later on....i would assume stock 5.0 would work just as well on a lopo and be virtually dirt cheap.......in defense of aftermarket, we tend to like to buy things and say "look, i added _____" even if its not making anymore "real" power it still looks cool and makes you feel like youre modding your car lol..........
        Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Headers should be just one part of a overall package. Headers alone with no other modifications are not going to be worth it.
          I wouldn't waste my time or money!

Comment

They change the sound of a lopo. That appeased the driver of my CV for a little while. Sometimes satisfaction is greater than the hp gain. LOL

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Blue View Post
              Aftermarket gives you room to "grow" if you add heads/intake etc. later on....i would assume stock 5.0 would work just as well on a lopo and be virtually dirt cheap.......in defense of aftermarket, we tend to like to buy things and say "look, i added _____" even if its not making anymore "real" power it still looks cool and makes you feel like youre modding your car lol..........
              What he said. I'd just get some cheap used fox body headers.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                What he said. I'd just get some cheap used fox body headers.
                That's what I thought about doing since I'm re doing the whole exhaust. Eventually by summer I also want to do gears with trac lok. I'm not looking for any hp gains since for now it's a lopo. If I end up buying another motor to build the way I want then I'll look for aftermarket headers.

For now as long as the fox body ones will work I'll do it.

'93 T-bird
                '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                '88 Mark VII
                '86 CV

Comment

i used fox headers on my 82 box merc. and straight piped it with some thrush glasspacks. made a nice sound difference. but none really in performance because i got the 4.2
                  Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                  Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                  Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

aftermarket headers on a 5.0 HO will get you maybe 5HP. Stands to reason that they're worth 2-3 on a stock lopo. If you're just going for sound, I'd do factory fox headers because stainless steel for cheap. If you're looking at even minor upgrades, I'd go with an aftermarket header.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

At this point I'm going for sound.

'93 T-bird
                      '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                      '88 Mark VII
                      '86 CV

Comment

I used stock mustang headers and H pipe on a box once.
                        Heat the header "dents" with a torch and push them out from the inside with a large round punch.
                        They probably flowed almost as good as some aftermarket headers. Cheap and stainless.
                        Stock H pipe fit pretty good too. Hook it up to some stock CV mufflers (or choice) and tails and your done.
                        Up grade with hipo FOX parts later.
                        65 Galaxie 500, 67 Mustang, 57 F350, 4- 77-79 LTD II, 68 LTD XL, 80 C V, 82 C V, 92 C V police, 74 P40, 92 G M
                        10 yrs in Ford dealers, ASE Master Cert expired in '92, Forgot more than I remember, 15 yrs in speed shops,
                        '80 Kaw KZ 1000 ST Turbo, converted to chain drive

Comment

Even if the fox shorties aren't worth much hp, They might bring a few MPG to the table, provided the rest of the system has some backpressure. That's my plan for grannie's anyways..
                          Maintaining Grandma's 84 CFI GM for her

Comment

I was thinking of fox headers and off-road h with thrush welded mufflers and either stock tails or impala tails. But I may not need the h-pipe. It depends on if the cats are rattlin'. I thought I heard a rattle from one of them the last time I drove it back in November.

'93 T-bird
                            '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                            '88 Mark VII
                            '86 CV

Comment

I honestly doubt anything over Lincoln Logs is needed on a CFI lopo. Factory Mustang shorties would probably be the best bet for what you want to do. I have a set laying around that are yours if you come pick them up. (they have 02 bungs welded in them, but can easily be plugged, otherwise into the scrap pile they go)
                              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                              X