Cylinder Deactivation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
    You can easily get high 20's on the highway out of these cars, even in stock form.
    yeah, my worst-case-scenario of an early front end, carbed 351w car still gets 23+mpg driven reasonably on the highway.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

heh, I've never hit 19 with my car. 18.5 is about as good as it gets. 17.5 is more typical. With the stock engine, it topped out at 14.5 mpg. Its not just my driving either. The Mark VII pulls down 21-22 on the highway with no problems. I've gotten over 20 driving Scott's car too. He can't do that with my car though.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I remember when i first got my car it got 14. then when i inflated the tires properly it jumped up to 17-18. I may have actually observed 20 more recently...but i dont really remember. I have synthetic gear lube in the rear end and i believe i have the 2.7x ratio.
        Vehicles I currently own:

86 Mercury Grand Marquis
        88 Lincoln Town Car
        85 Ford F250 Diesel
        83/5/6 Toyota Tercel 4WD Wagon (s)
        81 VW Rabbit Diesel
        90 Yugo GV+ EFI

Comment

2.78 rear end, excellent highway mileage, not too pleasing on the butt-dyno. Yeah, 4.6s are fuel-sippers, '98-02 may be the best ever. Before the original intake started to go on my '99 (with 233k) Grand Marquis, I was routinely getting 32.5mpg on the digital dash running at 62mph cruise control (60 radar-sign-thingy-observed speed). Mileage went down on the '03+ cars due to them being heavier or whatever. My '03 ultimate only seems to do 28.5ish on summer gas. Same as my '90 Towncar with the 5.0, actually, but they ARE 3.55s in the Ultimate, forget at the moment what gears are in the TC.
          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by OilBurner View Post
            I remember when i first got my car it got 14. then when i inflated the tires properly it jumped up to 17-18. I may have actually observed 20 more recently...but i dont really remember. I have synthetic gear lube in the rear end and i believe i have the 2.7x ratio.
            What pressures are you running? I've found minimal ride issues right up to 44psi (sidewall max on my tires).

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

35 all around on mine (cept the Mark... 40 front/35 rear... apparently the front is that much heavier).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I filled mine up to slightly past max...forget if it was 34 or 44...but i probably did 35 or 45 only because its a more mentally-satisfying number...when i got the car they were very low...not low enough to be a problem but bulging out at the bottom low.

86 Mercury Grand Marquis
                88 Lincoln Town Car
                85 Ford F250 Diesel
                81 VW Rabbit Diesel
                90 Yugo GV+ EFI

Comment

I run 40 in mine usually. I put it up to 44 (max on the sidewall) if I'm doing a long highway run but the extra 4 psi on the beat up roads is not as pleasant. I run 35 locally in the Mark VII for the same reason. With the poly bushings, that thing just beats the hell out of you if its any higher. The Towncar is still smooth with the poly. Damn crappy Fox suspension.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok so the original idea behind this thread i have basically decided to scrap for now... However i did come up with a fail safe solution that will not interfere with the electronics...custom headers! basically separate all the cylinders into groups of 2, dependent on firing order, and move the oxygen sensors so that they are only monitoring the exhaust stream of the 4 (2 on each side) cylinders that would be running all the time (in both 4 and 8 cylinder mode)...this would make it so the exhaust gas ratio would not change at all when cylinders are switched off, and would still allow the ECU to do its monitor/adjust thing in real time as normal...additional sensors could also be added so that both sets of 4 cylinders could be switched on or off without having a "primary" set...the additional sensors would just be switched so that whatever cylinders are being used would be the ones that are being monitored...this could be manually controlled, or automated so that the 2 groups of 4 cylinders are switched on or off every so often and used an equal amount of time to avoid hot spots and whatnot...

This all requires more modification than i have time for right now, so until then, I just got the car back from having a dual exhaust installed. 2" from the cats back with knock-off flowmaster 40 series. Cost $280. Will be advancing the timing and also switching to synthetic oil in the next week or so..and doing the stereo and repacking the passenger side wheel bearing...and then i will be embarking on my cross country drive to California from PA. any other thoughts or opinions on things i should do to the car before i take it on this long trip are welcome.

86 Mercury Grand Marquis
                    88 Lincoln Town Car
                    85 Ford F250 Diesel
                    81 VW Rabbit Diesel
                    90 Yugo GV+ EFI

Comment

Working...
                    X