Centrifugal. Supercharger.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Centrifugal. Supercharger.

I've always been fascinated and awed by the power forced induction supplies. On a whim, I started searching for options for the Ford 5.0. Right away, two companies appear, Vortech and Paxton Superchargers. (in fact, Vortech owns Paxton!) They offer several kits for the 86-and-up Fox-body Mustang, which has the HO version of the 5.0. I was wondering if anyone on the forum has used such centrifugal supercharging kits on their Town Car/LTD Crown Vic/Grand Marquis. Also, if I were to come into a large deal of money I could throw towards such go-fast mods, would I also need to reinforce the AOD or other engine parts to handle the increased power? How much power can the 5.0 produce without other mods, and how much HP/torque can the AOD take if it's a well-maintained car?

EDIT: grammar
    Last edited by cherniydiavel; 08-10-2014, 10:56 PM. Reason: Grammar errors!
    1988 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX

Oh god, the things I wouldn't do to boost my Towncar. Would be terrifying hearing a supercharger whine behind you and its coming from an 80s land yacht

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2wd - Magnaflow Axleback exhaust, K&N 63 Series CAI, DiabloSport 87 Octane tune, LEDs, 3000K LED projector fogs, 5000K Mini H1 projectors - Daily
    1967 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan "C-Code" - 289 2bbl/Cruise-O-Matic - Money pit/project

Comment

Thats the plan for my 82. Pull the smog 4.2 out and drop in a 5.0 and mount up a SC. Im far from experienced when it comes to boost. Or even bolt on power a dders really but I think with a moderate shift kit. Posi. And some streetable internals like a cam I wouldn't see why a supercharger on low boost wouldn't work nicely on a stockish motor. As for brand I've looked into a Hipo vortech kit for a foxbody.
      Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
      Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
      Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Depending on the power levels you would want to upgrade everything behind the engine (trans, TC, ujoints, rear, exhaust). I wouldn't want to throw a bunch of newfound power at stock box body without knowing everything is up to par. Just throwing a power adder on is asking to break things which could end up costing more to fix than if you had upgraded them as well in the first place.

I would imagine that a stock HO would handle 6lbs of boost ok. Maybe more if you have the ability to tune it properly. Headers would be a must as with any forced induction setup.

If you are serious about adding power, maybe compare the cost of a turbo kit as well. They usually offer more power at around the same price as an S/C. More efficient too.
        These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Thanks for all your inputs, highly appreciated! I think some Ford Racing headers and the Borla Crown Vic system is in order, as well as some parts from Lentech to beef up the AOD. Also a positraction unit wouldn't be a bad idea :P

Tonight I found out a few things as well; while driving on a closed road of course I found the car's top speed at 5000 Ft above sea level is 98 MPH (using my Garmin). The fastest I've gone in the box is 122 mph, and that was with the help of a nice long hill. That's mostly because it has such a tall overdrive ratio coupled to the weakish engine and barn-shaped profile…. anyways, also I found my speedo reads 65 when I'm driving at 62 MPH, and 75 when I'm driving 71 MPH.

That's all for now!
          1988 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX

Comment

the part where a turbo gets you, is when you get into the intercooler and exhaust piping. mainly because its not bolt on for us. nobody makes kits for panthers as far as i know and even on our sleds the room to work with is a pain in the dick.

plus supercharger whine > blowoff
            Last edited by marquis_82_withneons; 08-11-2014, 09:33 AM.
            Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
            Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
            Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Paxton is the heart of my ride!Click image for larger version

Name:	101575858_3aNkQ-L.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	1276172

Comment

ooooooh my

Comment

thats my exact dream setup for my 82. supercharger bolted up to a carbed 302.... mmmmm oh the things id do

Comment

Well why wait?...........go pick up a nice '64 R2 Avanti!........with 3:07 final drive....nothing will pass you I guarantee it!!!
                    Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post
                    thats my exact dream setup for my 82. supercharger bolted up to a carbed 302.... mmmmm oh the things id do

Comment

Paxtons were used on many 289 and 302 Mustangs.

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
                        Paxtons were used on many 289 and 302 Mustangs.
                        thats the main reason i feel confident i can do it. because its so similar to a mustang engine-wise that i feel i can make the project happen.

Comment

lopo pistons will not survive boost. heck... sometimes they don't survive lopo power (skirts break off). Upgrade to an HO first before boosting. lopo will do 50-100 shot of NO2 typically... but still... you may break pistons.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

mustang motor it is then. or perhaps the EFI 351 out of my dads 95 E-250 hahaha

Comment

I am working on this, it's taking way too much time since I'm taking it slow.
                              I am using a complete HO engine for a swap so it should be able to handle the boost a bit better than LOPO.
                              I got a Vortech SC kit off a Fox, Mustang mass air computer(no tuner will tune a SC speed density here, don't know if that's even an option)
                              1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Working...
                              X