About to build or buy an engine, someone point me in the right direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to build or buy an engine, someone point me in the right direction

First off, my car is a 79 Marquis brougham. It has a very, very lazy but good running 302 that I want to upgrade. I was given an edelbrock torker intake and a holley 4 barrel carb from a buddy but they will not fit under the hood. The more I got thinking, the more I want to just swap the entire motor.

First of all, how hard is it to get a fuel injection motor running if I acquire a parts explorer? Would it be worth the time and effort to have fuel injection? Also, are there any problems I may encounter if I were to find a mid 90's explorer 302 and carb it for my application?

Or second, if I build my own motor what do I need for an HO swap? I know I will need heads (what will work? I have pcv valves and no idea how those work), a cam and a few other things but what else am I missing?

Money isn't a huge problem... I was hoping to keep it around $1000 and have a good running motor since it's just a street car. Please help steer a noob in the right direction. Thanks guys.
    79 Grand Marquis

I'll probably get virtually beaten over my head for this, but here goes:
    Where you have a carburetor to begin with, it's easier to keep the carburetor setup. I say this despite the fact I hate carburetors with an intense passion.
    For a budget power build up, I would get a 351W, preferably one that came originally equipped with a 4 barrel carburetor. I think some early to mid-80s Ford trucks had them.
    I would then do the a complete tune up from carb to base pan, change the fuel filter, add a high flowing air filter (ex. K&N), and do any other maintenance that may need to be done.
    I'd check to see what rear axle gears you have, and if they are tall (ex.2.73s) then I would change those to 3.27s or 3.55s for more off the line power. Traction Lok (posi) is a good idea too if/when you have the rear end opened up.
    After this work being done, I wouldn't let it outside of the garage without dual exhausts and cleaned out converters. This would also be a good time to replace those heavy, restrictive, and possibly cracked iron exhaust manifolds.
    Make sure your ignition, carburetor and vacuum system is all on top shelf and you should have a strong runner for the street for many years to come.
    My *2 cents*
    Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I know this may seem contradictory, but early (1969-1974) 351W blocks were stronger than the later model ones. But the ones found in trucks were pretty decent regardless.
      Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
      Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

F4TE 351W from a 96-98 F or E Series truck. Yank the E7's and put GT40's on there. Not ideal, but you'll have more cubes, roller cam, and could be done under $1k. Though, somebody who has either done this, or went down the same path can chime in.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
          Yank the E7's and put GT40's on there. Not ideal, but you'll have more cubes, roller cam, and could be done under $1k. Though, somebody who has either done this, or went down the same path can chime in.

Packman
          Those gt 40 heads can be had for $70 from j/y if you pull them yourself.
          “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Comment

EFI isn't that hard. If you don't know how to tune a carb, it may be easier to run some wiring. I'm also not a carb guy anymore. I had enough vehicles with moody ass carbs that wouldn't run correctly on any reliable basis. I've come to appreciate the fact that I can hit the key any day with any weather conditions and it just works.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Comment

Working...
            X