Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok its been quite a while but the 347 - t5 swap is making progress!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is what I'm used to looking at

The dots are kind of arbitrary. The stock setup puts your timing marks at #1 TDC. You can line them up basically anywhere, as long as the cam is phased properly relative to the crankshaft.
    Last edited by gadget73; 08-05-2015, 09:05 PM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i'm going to K.I.S.S. first, i did notice my fuel pressure was on the low side (4 psi running) i'm going blame the fuel line for that, the kit i got came with 1/2 inch fuel line. probably too big. sooo for 20.00 i got a small spool of 3/8 fuel line for carb'd engines. i'm going to swap that out and see what happens, i know the timing marks should be at 12 and 6 so i'm not gonna mess with that right now. i'm also going to re-check the dizzy timing by borrowing a camera scope so i can see when the piston is at TDC and be 100% positive the dizzy is pointing at #1. i'm going to check the simple things first before i go tearing the engine apart. i'm also going to plug up the vacuum lines on the engine just in case i have a vacuum leak somewhere in the hvac box. i'd rather spend some time checking those items first. i'll keep you guys posted, i really wanna get this thing on the road so i can get the paintwork started, well and because i want to drive a 5 speed merc, lol

Comment

Sounds like alot of trouble just to figure out simple things.

Turn the engine over until air puffs out of the number 1 cylinder for TDC.

Unhook all of your Hvac shit, get the engine to run right and then figure out your issues. Don't complicate it with everything hooked up at once, on a brand new engine. I'd run it off a jug, like I did with mine. My engine was sitting in the car, no AC or anything hooked up. Just carb, fuel and spark from my MSD box. Was really easy to tune it, without complicating things.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
        The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
        It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

turns out its the fuel pump, going to try and get it swapped today, my original pump was a holley 32gph 7 psi, the pressure was right, the volume was too low, i picked up a new pump, 105gph 14 psi with regulator, i'll keep you guys updated!

Comment

much much much better...

old fuel pump, 32GPH unit, apparently not enough for a 347 stroker
            Click image for larger version

Name:	old fpump.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1278119

New fuel pump, 105 GPH with regulator

Name:	fpump1.jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1278120

Fuel pump installed

Name:	fpump installed.jpg
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	1278121

Regulator

Name:	regulator.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1278122

regulator

Name:	regulator2.jpg
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1278123

regulator

Name:	regulator3.jpg
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1278124

regulator

Name:	regulator4.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1278125

Video with Proper 7psi, i had the dizzy vacuum disconnected, i want to set the timing properly this time and go over the valves. but as you can hear it sounds much much much better, no more starving for fuel!

Last edited by Nick52284; 08-16-2015, 03:45 PM.

Comment

still having a weird timing issue though, it'll idle around 700ish, but if i try to dial the timing in with a light it says 40 degrees, i have the vacuum capped on the dizzy and the carb, if i go clockwise the timing actually goes down, from 40 i can hit the 25 mark but i can feel that its too advanced, and it feels like it has a misfire unless you give it gas then it smooth's out. which direction would i be off a tooth then? should i drop the dizzy in 1 tooth behind or 1 tooth ahead? she's almost there, dammit!!

Comment

40 is a lot more advanced than 25 is. Both sound tremendously too much at idle. I'd expect somewhere closer to 10 BTDC at idle.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i might be off by the 3 teeth on the crank like i mentioned earlier, i'm going to take the timing cover off and verify before i continue, its a lot of work but i'd rather be sure before i keep chasing problems that arent there

Comment

If you have a dial indicator and a degree wheel, you can pop a valve cover off and use that to determine the cam events. That would tell you for sure if the cam is off.

Comment

unfortunately i don't have either :/ i also noticed i get smoke from the valve cover breathers, makes me think the mechanical timing is off, when i pop the valve cover off its clean inside, no black residue or anything just clean oil, but it smokes out of the breathers. i dunno, i've re-built engines at work in the past, no issues, and those were DOHC engines, 3-4 chains, never had an issue, for some reason i'm having an issue with this one.

Comment

must not be complicated enough. I suffer from that on occasion. I can fix feature-laden electronics, but basic AM radios give me fits.

Comment

the problem i'm running into is the timing chain set, the crank sprocket had 2 styles and i think i set it up wrong, i had a 50/50 shot and of course it ended up being wrong, it makes sense if the timing light is flashing at 40, if i turn the crank ahead 3 teeth that would bring the timing right into the 0-10 range for base timing

Comment

got it figured out, took it all apart today, the timing was on mechanically, then i started looking elsewhere. low and behold the race balancer i got has 3 sets of timing marks.... hmmmm, dug through the pile of parts and found the factory balancer... i was using timing marks that were completely 1 tooth off from the ones it was supposed to use... sooo i made sure it was at TDC on compression, re-stabbed the dizzy according to the correct timing marks on the balancer and put it all back together, fired right up, timed it to about 20 degrees and......

https://youtu.be/gNuLwebjHb4

Comment

got it figured out, took it all apart today, the timing was on mechanically, then i started looking elsewhere. low and behold the race balancer i got has 3 sets of timing marks.... hmmmm, dug through the pile of parts and found the factory balancer... i was using timing marks that were completely 1 tooth off from the ones it was supposed to use... sooo i made sure it was at TDC on compression, re-stabbed the dizzy according to the correct timing marks on the balancer and put it all back together, fired right up, timed it to about 20 degrees and......

Comment

ignore the grind, lol, i'm used to my cruze where reverse is to the left and up..... lol

Comment

Working...
                                X