X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a lot money for a boat anchor.

Comment

+1 boat anchor.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The motor mounts and trans bellhouse also will not mate up. If you're going to the trouble of fitting a 351M, go 400 and put the Cleveland parts on it. Effectively its the same engine, but you at least get another 50 cubes out of a 400. They're also similarly "challenged" in the oiling and performance department. Stock I think the 351M made about what the stock lopo EFI motor made.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by grandwagon View Post
          any thoughts on a 1979 351 M ? i can get it for about a $175!!!!
          Don't do it. 351M or 400 Waste of money for a smog smothered boat anchor. The 390 option would be better than that. IMO if you are going to do a big block, 428, 429, or older 460.

Comment

I'd tend to agree, unless you throw some good heads at the Midland motors. For that cheap it may balance the cost of a set of heads. Always wanted to do a Cleveland in my early Fox coupe but it was never meant to be. Lost my job, had to move and sell the car for nothing just about. First year California Highway Patrol car too, breaks my heart...

Comment

429/460 engine family would be the way to go if you want big block. Much better parts support. Smallblock tends to have the Windsor as the winner, and for the same reason. A Cleveland kicks ass in potential, but they haven't made them in a really long time, and the parts just aren't cheap. 302's and 351's are plentiful. No, they're not particularly unique, but if the goal is reliability and not spending a fortune it makes good sense to use something proven. Hell, much as I will probably come to regret saying this, I'd probably consider a late model 4.6 swap before using a 351M/400, FE, or any of the other oldie motors in one of these cars. at some point being able to get parts you can afford takes priority over being the only one in town. Find a wrecked Navigator and snatch the 4 cam 5.4 out of it if you want something a little different.

I saw a restomod C3 'Vette on Jay Leno's Garage last night. Supercharged LS6, something like 425 hp with a stock motor and a bolt-on blower, mated to a stock 6 speed stick. I talk shit on the engine crossbreeds as much as anyone, but I have to admit a wagon with that driveline would be bad-ass enough for me to shut up about it.
              Last edited by gadget73; 09-01-2015, 05:49 PM.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You don't need anything fancy if all you want to do is go fast for cheap, the JY 4.8/5.3 + chinese turbo is an impossible combo to beat.

Lighter, cheaper, and easier then using an ancient 385 series.

With that said, if your goal is 13's that's easily attainable with a sbf, but the engine is that last place I'd start. These car's are complete garbage in stock form at anything other then being a highway cruiser. Suspension, brakes and chassis will need a major overhaul if you want to reliably run 12/13's.
                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

well the engine is the first place i have to start because the one in the car is no good, has a bad rod knock
                  '88' MGM wagon (mine and my sons toy)
                  "60" chrysler New Yorker (my project)
                  "78" Chevy 1 Ton P/U (yard horse)
                  "01" Ford Explorer (wifes DD)
                  "93" Chevy Suburban (my DD)

Comment

Working...
                  X