HO lower. Is there a point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Maybe that's the problem with our TC's. I've never had the lower off though.
    Its not. The stock lowers have the big baffle plate. It was the Explorer and GT40 types that sometimes got the small ones. Oil burning boxes is usually just a tired motor.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      Its not. The stock lowers have the big baffle plate. It was the Explorer and GT40 types that sometimes got the small ones. Oil burning boxes is usually just a tired motor.
      My 86 crown had the smaller one, another 86 only thing? Or luck of the draw? My cars always went through like a quart every 1000 sometimes more or less ever since i've had it and i always see oil in my throttlebody. Wish i would of put the other one with the bigger baffle on but i realized this after the ho conversion
      Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

I've never known a LoPo 302 that didn't use oil. My car won't use any in the city. Past two fill-ups I haven't had to add a drop. Road trip to Florida several months ago, at least a half a quart every fill-up. Ashley's LoPo is same way. I don't see any oil in my TB but I have seen that before. Never looked into Ashley's.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
          I've never known a LoPo 302 that didn't use oil. My car won't use any in the city. Past two fill-ups I haven't had to add a drop. Road trip to Florida several months ago, at least a half a quart every fill-up. Ashley's LoPo is same way. I don't see any oil in my TB but I have seen that before. Never looked into Ashley's.
          The only oil mine has ever burned was the absolute sludge that was in it when I got it. After I got it out of the resulting cold seize (fucking hell) it hasn't used a single drop in the 4 years since. And that's not just because I check it too often to notice; I've literally stopped checking unless I'm curious, and it never changes. I've used 3 different oils too, the first of which was generic brand 10w40. I have Royal Purple HMX 5w30 in it now.

Cleaned my throttle body recently too, and no oil there either. Carbon and dirt, but no oil. And that's probably the first time it's ever been done on this car.
          89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

My car won't use oil for a long time, then it'll all the sudden be down a quart. I dunno, I've only driven it maybe 3,000 miles since I bought it and it's about to get it's second oil change since right when I got it. Be interesting to see how it does with the new top end on it.

Comment

That's sometimes how my car goes. I need to check the vacuum at idle and I'll be switching to 10W-30 to see if that makes any difference. I'm burning oil now but haven't had to add any the past 3 fill-ups. I figure I'll need to throw a quart at it on the next one.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Be getting a change shortly now with all the work going on. Checked on the old gal today and it's about to go back together. Very excited to see how she runs when all's said and done. My buddy at the shop was blow away by how different the heads are and is excited about how different it'll run with the new shit on it. I'm now more excited too, although it looks like i'll need to run premium fuel now. So what, I hardly drive it these days...

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                  My car won't use oil for a long time, then it'll all the sudden be down a quart.
                  Every single box I've owned has done this. I gave up wondering as to why.
                  2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                  2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                  2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                  1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Go explorer for not much more $$. Un-ported (only gasket matched at the intake mouths) explorer heads and my porting recipe on the explorer upper and lower just put 290hp and 330tq to the wheels on my big box with a super beefed/heavy ass drivetrain and heavy as hell big steel wheels/30x12 radial tires. Map pressure in the #8 runner is running 1-2kpa OVER atmosphere at wot the whole rpm range... Best part is how flat the curves are.
                    With individual cyl tuning and getting the fuel/timing perfected and adding a 2nd iat sensor to the airbox for heat soak free readings via relay switch at wot... the 300rwhp will be surpassed with ease... 4500lbs running 14.4 at 93.5 in the 1/4 as of the last NA tune session. The potential of cheep explorer parts is definetly there.

Stock we are about 110rwhp, HO everything (gains are cam and heads) does 150-160rwhp, stock explorer everything with a higher lift but still short duration stock manner/emissions cam is 240rwhp (all through an AOD and 8.8's)

Just some numbers for thought now that the itch has began lol
                    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Working...
                    X