No announcement yet.

another 351w swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I am trying to spin this engine over and I only get a click.

Is there anything like safety switches or something that would prevent starting.

This is what I am doing. I am using a remote starter connected to the positive on the battery to the little ignition switch top side of the solenoid. I am hearing the click from the driver side .maybe a relay or something.

Is there anything I should look into first?the battery is on a charger as well
    Wide open until you see God, then BRAKE
    sigpic

Comment

try going to the bottom little pin as well. If the solenoid still won't trip, double check the power to the starter and the engine grounds. If the block is not grounded to the frame/battery, the starter will never turn.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Needs to be from the battery to the S terminal. I terminal is output to ignition system. Thats assuming you have 2 small posts. If its only one small post, and it doesn't click your solenoid is toast.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Fixed the starter issue. That was me being an idiot and not grounding the engine and I saw the starter power bolt was a little loose. Fixed those and she spun over no problem.

Then I went to find TDC on number 1 cylinder. Pulled the plug for number 1 and held my finger over it and spun the engine over AND No compression! !!!!!

So I pulled the valve cover and watchEd it . So I replaced the new push rods that was installed on number 1 cylinder and swapped them with the original pushrods that came with the 351 and tried it again.

Blew my finger into the neighbors yard! I am happy and mad. Mad that I am stupid but happy I know what it is.

Finally the only other real problem I have is the fact that the oil pump shafts does not sit centered in the hole that the distributor goes in and so I am constantly fighting it to go down. My oil primer couldn't sit on the shafts nor my distributor itself.

Any suggestions on the oil pump shaft?
          sigpic

Comment

Have to check the lifter preload to see if thats right. QUick and dirty method, find zero lash and watch how far it rotates to hit torque. If its between 1/2 turn and 1 turn, you're fine. If it never hits zero lash you need longer rods, if it takes much more than 1 turn the pushrods are too long.

Not much you can do with the pump shaft other than carefully rock the distributor a bit till it finds a spot and pilots itself. The stock ones are rounded on the end so that works better but if yours is squared off you're basically SOL.

Related, but you do know the 351 uses a bigger pump shaft than a 302 right? 302 distributor and primer will not fit.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah gadget73 I saw the size difference between the too. And I ordered all 351w parts for the 351w engine. So I am a little frustrated bc everything appears to be right and the dizzy won't drop it and mesh with the gears of the cam. I even tried the original distributor that came with the engine and she won't slide in.

This basically is the only thing that's actively stopping me from trying to start the engine now.
              sigpic

Comment

So I got it in.I guess the shafts got unseat and somehow became lodged against the engine. So I forced my oil primer on there and spun it for a while and it finally dropped in correctly!

That made me happy so now I have to put plug wires on there and connect the dizzy to battery . A little fuel and hopefully smell exhaust
                sigpic

Comment

She runs! So happy. Now to start the fine details and wrap the engine compartment up!!
                  sigpic

Comment

351w warmed over. Gt40p heads, comp cam magnum 270h kit, weiand chrome intake , edelbrock 1406 carburetor, Ford hei distributor, Mustang stock headers.
                    sigpic

Comment

you got lucky if the shaft came out of the pump but didn't drop down into the pan. Thats the usual way it goes, and the only fix is removing the pan to fish the shaft out.

Comment

that dizzy cap tho

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          you got lucky if the shaft came out of the pump but didn't drop down into the pan. Thats the usual way it goes, and the only fix is removing the pan to fish the shaft out.
                          Eh, maybe she didn't come out all the way, just got stuck in the pump in the up-most position the keeper allows it. Remember Don's engine, yeah, that shit! We ought to start moving them keepers up the shafts till they almost touch the block, that should put the kibosh on these shenanigans.
                          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I can't use my 302 water pump pulley bc the mounting holes don't match the water pump bolt holes.

Where can I get a 6 rib serpentine water pump pulley?

And I need the one with the grooves not the one that's smooth right?
                            sigpic

Comment

What water pump did you use? The pumps and pulleys are the same 351 to 302, provided you got a pump for a Vic. If its a Mustang or pickup truck pump, those are reverse rotation and involve a different bolt pattern. They will not function correctly spinning standard rotation. If its a truck pump and it sealed, you'll also need to change the timing cover. The ports run the opposite direction on a truck, and the car water pumps do not seal to that timing cover, or vise-versa.

Comment

My napa part number is 43057. It says it's got a standard rotation. I don't know what the parts guy looked it up under. It says standard rotation but I have to widen the holes on the water pump pulley . This pulley came off of the 302 cfi engine.

Why is there so many variations to stuff with Ford?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X