No announcement yet.

Muffler delete v.s. glass pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you got the factory cats, and a stock engine, just straight pipe it. These cars are quiet. I ran a straight pipe on mine after the muffler rotted out. Nobody will notice since its still quieter than most cars but has a nice rumble to go with it when you hit the throttle.

Alex.

Comment

Thanks Guys. Worth a try GM Guy (Grand Marquis not Government Motors right? ). It looks like if one rigged up some hangers you could cut just a bit aft of the Y and angle off to the passenger rear in front of the rear tire.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	SmExhRear.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	1280636Click image for larger version

Name:	SmHangerLoc2.jpg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1280637Click image for larger version

Name:	SmExFront.jpg
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	1280638
      mike

Comment

Both actually.

Comment

Get an S-bend made up to match the muffler inlet outlet. My first one I hacked together from two slightly curved tailpipe extensions and a bit of electrical conduit. to connect them.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
            If you got the factory cats, and a stock engine, just straight pipe it. These cars are quiet. I ran a straight pipe on mine after the muffler rotted out. Nobody will notice since its still quieter than most cars but has a nice rumble to go with it when you hit the throttle.

Alex.
            Is there a way to run scavenger pipes, on these cars without jacking up the rear?
            sigpic
            1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
            302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
            COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

Just fired up the other car a couple days ago. It might just have the level of rasp you require. I'll get over there next week and make a video before I tear it apart. It's my wrecked '90 that just got all the work done to it. I'll give you a light run-down. The exhaust is fox mustang shorties, the best EBAY could supply for cheap, a fox mustang off-road h-pipe, modified by the exhaust shop for fit, Moroso Spiral-Flow mufflers, impala over-axle pipes and turndowns at the bumper. Had the exhaust on it a while and then got the top-end done. Engine is a stock lopo with Edelbrock Performer 5.0 heads with 2.02/1.60 valves, 62cc chambers, pro-products typhoon(edelbrock rpm) intake, c&l 76mm maf w/24lb injectors, 65mm lightnig throttle body/egr. Everything else was STOCK, with a STOCK trans and everything else, including 3.08 open rearend. Anyhow, no more BS, will get video of it in a few days, including cold start, which sounds like it's cammed. Will get that and then when it's warm, some hard revs, because I don't care if it gets hurt now, the car is shithoused...

Comment

Running the walker h-pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                sigpic
                1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
                302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
                COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

Glass packs start sounding great at the 300hp mark, under that and they get lawnmowerish. I run glasspacks and cats on mine and it sounds really deep smooth and throaty which i never thought glasspacks did lol. To many hondas buzzin around
                  Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                  HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Both asspacks and straight pipes sounds like shit on a lopo. I mean, if you want your car to sound like it's ready for a demo, by all means go for it.
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Damnit why I can't I give you any more rep

I like my shit as loud as a cargo space ship parked in orbit awaiting the ISS to emerge over the horizon
                      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Dear Panthers,

As David Ogilvy once famously said, "At 60mph, the loudest sound in the Rolls Royce is the ticking of the clock." Something to aspire to.

Donald McCaig

Comment

Donald, that's exactly what I meant as well - deathly quiet, so quiet you can hear the relays ticking and in extreme cases maybe a fuel pump whirring.
                          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Can't stand quiet, it makes me go crazy! Also don't like a car that doesn't make any noise. The exhaust let's me know what it's doing, that's why i'll never need a tach. Probably the first thing I do to any car once I've serviced it, is get it noisied up a bit. To each his own...

Comment

For an extra 5ish hp do 2" duals to glasspacks (non-louvred) with turndowns at the axle.

For the best mean machine sound in a lopo do 2.5" duals (no h-pipe) with 2.5-3" flowmaster super 44's or 40's also turned down at the axle. Somehow them dumped big flowmasters make 150hp sound like 350hp. When ya hear it, it's pure wizardry.
                              Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                              HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

^^^^^5.0 and Flowmasters just seem to go together. You're right with that^^^^^

dmccaig and His Royal Ghostliness: Loud pipes are good when you're young. Deathly quiet is preferred when you get into your mid-20s. Been rocking Dynomax Hemi Super Turbos for a few years. They quiet the lopo down just nicely. Want noise? Install cutouts; they're not expensive. For cars like merc91 has; you may need to install glasspacks behind the Dynomax muffs (on the tailpipes) to quiet the extra hp. That's what I would do.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                                X