No announcement yet.

Plinkity plink, flapping sound... !?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My differential cover leaked for five years since I bought my wagon. About a month ago it finally got so low that I could feel the gears meshing together as it turned, so I opened it up and had about a cup of gear oil in there...
    added some fresh oil and it's like it never happened.
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Originally posted by mercenvy
      Let's not forget that your diff is leaking. Also curious as to how someone would know you need a c-clip from changing a tire?
      It was at a place called Les Schwab.
      They do other repairs there, as well. Brakes, and etc. They put on the new tires, and in the process, they inspect the wheels and will mention any problems they observe underneath, then give you an estimate for repair.
      So in the estimate, it said, hubs and shoes worn down to borderline safety specs.
      Differential housing cover needs new seals and c-clip replacement, and both jobs added up to $285 with parts, labor and tax. I'd just spent $300 or so on the tires so... uhm, didn't have anything left.
      But if you think this needs attention, I can scrape the money up and get it done. I don't have the resources to do this mineself.
      Rocinante, 1985 Grand Marquis LS with all the trimmings.

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
        My differential cover leaked for five years since I bought my wagon. About a month ago it finally got so low that I could feel the gears meshing together as it turned, so I opened it up and had about a cup of gear oil in there...
        The differential gear oil, which has been changed at regular intervals through the life of the car, was recently changed just before the car came into my possession. I checked it myself, so it was all good.
        I can't figure out what the C-clip does, is it part of the front seal by the pinion and flange? Can't seem to find it in the diagrams, though I'd seen that thing somewhere before, but maybe I dreamed it, dunno.

Comment

Wonder what they mean by hubs? Rear brakes have drums and shoes...No hub..
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
            Wonder what they mean by hubs? Rear brakes have drums and shoes...No hub..
            Drums, not hubs. My mistake.

Comment

BE CAREFUL SOME LES SWAB PLACES RIP PEAPLE OFF

BE CAREFUL SOME LES SWAB PLACES RIP PEAPLE OFF , I never had it happen BUT I know of peaple that it has.If they say you need a c-clip id go check it out with another place first just to be safe
              First
              On
              Race
              Day
              I have never had any ford leave us stranded on the side of the road. My jeep yes once (not it's fault) the olds I had yes way too much, the toyota never broke down.
              YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Hmm, hmm.
                I got this done while up in Washington.
                The nearest place for me, is about 84 miles away. Bah.
                So I will have work done by somebody else, unless the tires are still under warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by capridrifter
                  First
                  On
                  Race
                  Day
                  I have never had any ford leave us stranded on the side of the road. My jeep yes once (not it's fault) the olds I had yes way too much, the toyota never broke down.
                  Oh I like that one. As far as it depends on me, I'll never let this car die.

Comment

Nope, it isn't the wheels, makikng the noise.
                    In the latest drive, even after removing caps and the brackets on the wheels,the noise is still there. It's isolated now, no longer a concert of plinking, but it's making the noise I heard while on the trip. I did a series of accelerations stronger than usual after the stop signs to see if that affected it, and it got louder when I accelerated. I'm leaning back toward the drivetrain again.
                    Back to square one...

Comment

It's like 20 questions.....of sound!
                      My jeep makes that noize but it's allways a rock in the center cap.
                      it's annoying
                      YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
                        OK, it's just that he didn't say it was leaking from the cover, he said it was leaking from the front, so I assume it's pinion-related. In my experience changing/reinstalling the diff cover might not help him in this case.
                        Of course if the leak is coming from the rear of the housing then you could keep dumping fresh gear oil in there and letting it leak out, but if it's the pinion, then the pinion will EVENTUALLY fail, and then kiss your ring gear goodbye. It could take years to happen or months or whatever but like was said, keep your eye on it.
                        My car is a Shelby SVT Cobra GT Boss Grand Marquis Type R

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rectangular Car
                          The differential gear oil, which has been changed at regular intervals through the life of the car, was recently changed just before the car came into my possession. I checked it myself, so it was all good.
                          I can't figure out what the C-clip does, is it part of the front seal by the pinion and flange? Can't seem to find it in the diagrams, though I'd seen that thing somewhere before, but maybe I dreamed it, dunno.
                          If you look at this picture you can see the c-clip on the end of the axle on the driver's side. It's that washer-looking thing, which essentially is sort of a c-shaped washer. Keeps the axle located in the housing. It isn't the end of the world to change it yourself if you have decent tools. I'm just thinking that while you have the thing apart for that, maybe the possible pinion issue should be dealt with at the same time and then it gets somewhat expensive. You'll need some specialized equipment to install the pinion yourself...a dial indicator with magnetic base helps alot. I know PatFromJersey has rebuilt many an 8.8 rearend, might want to PM him to see what he thinks.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by mercenvy; 08-18-2006, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Oh, I see it, now. Okay...
                            the differential leaks from both the front and the back, so I'm going to assume that the fellow who looked at it at Les Schwab is correct in saying I need new seals and a c-clip.

Comment

Got an estimate from a local place, they want somewhere between $200-300 to do the work. Geez, at least at Les Schwab they would have done my rear brakes included, for that money.
                              There's no way I can do this myself, I don't have a proper lift, and I'mnot about to lie under a car and risk having a gnadding axle fall on me. I'm not strong enough for that.
                              I'll keep shopping around.
                              Sorry about the whining... :P

Comment

Well I had my diff all apart and did it by meself without a lift.
                                But I didn't do a complete rebuild, either...that requires special equipment that I don't have...so I would take it to someone as well. You'll gain peace of mind when it's fixed, and your driveway will love you for it...lol

Comment

Working...
                                X