Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yucatec
    Dear Pantherers,
    So far as I know there are only 3 semi-performance tires in 15 inch and one, the Dunlops, hydroplane. If there are more choices in 17 unch, that's a good argument. Question: is any 17 in tire small enough to fit in the spare wheel wheel? - i.e. approx 27 inches?
    DOnald McCaig
    So, there is NO way you will go with a different wheel/tire for a spare, even if it matches the diameter as the other 4 and is a normal tire?

You will not be able to get a 17" wheel in the spare tire well. But, you can get a 16" wheel and tire in there that would match the diameter and would be fine for driving on for 30,000 miles. It wouldn't be as pretty, but it'd be a million times better than a traditional minispare.

If you want matching wheels, the 16" is what you have to go with. They will fit in the spare tirewell, and there are plenty of 16" performance tires. The HPP wheels are a good choice.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Dear Panthers,
      Thanks for your helpful advice. I guess I'll go with 17's and a 16in (same diameter) spare. In the worst case scenario - the longest haul, I wouldn't be driving on the spare for more than 24 hours.

Donald McCaig

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
        Tom, if you decide you want a cow catcher up front and a tire on the trunk, I'm taking your keys and requesting that you be submitted for a mental health evaluation.
        Nah, that sounds liek something SP would do. No way.

Besides, tire on the trunk is too much like a continental kit, and I hate those!
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

No tire on the trunk. Thats just dumb.
          1989 Grand Marquis LS
          flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Working...
          X