Inconsistent Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inconsistent Brakes

I’ve noticed recently on my 90 MGM that sometimes when I brake the pedal will go to its usual spot, then it’ll start to lose braking power so I have to keep pushing it further if that makes sense. Then sometimes I don’t have to give it much pedal to stop. It kind of just happened out of the blue. Also after I turned it off today I hit the brakes to see how many times it would take to make the pedal hard and it took one time. Is that indicative of a bad check valve? Any ideas? Thanks.

I would say the brake booster is going bad
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

That would be my guess; or you have a bad fitting or a line that's going bad. The CAI in my MGM laid up against the brake line going to the ABS module. That killed the line at the fitting and I had the same problem you have.

Comment

Possible booster leak, booster check valve going bad, possible hydraulic leak inside the master causing it to bleed down (had this issue with one vehicle).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'd change the check valve first. More than likely, not the cause but the easiest and cheapest fix to try first. Move on from there....
          What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
          What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Check the hose to the intake manifold as well. If it's collapsing or turning to dust, that could also be causing the problem.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I’ll take a look maybe Sunday after work if it’s dry. I have a lot to go on now, thanks. How do I check the booster?

Comment

Originally posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
                I’ll take a look maybe Sunday after work if it’s dry. I have a lot to go on now, thanks. How do I check the booster?
                A vacuum pump and gauge tee'd in could be handy to see if its leaking internally.

FWIW, if for whatever reason it does happen to be the booster, I'll make a suggestion to use the '92-'00 dual diaphragm unit (non-ABS if mentioned). It does move the master cylinder out a little further, but of the vehicles I've driven with them fitted, the pedal feel has been better than the '79-'91 single diaphragm unit.

My Cars:
                -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Any idea what the difference between the civilian and police booster is? Civilian 1992-2000 Police 1995-2000
                  (The 92-1995 make an abs/non-abs callout, non-abs is the same boosters as shown in the attachment for the 96 & 98 years)
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	boosters.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.8 KB ID:	1390635
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                    Any idea what the difference between the civilian and police booster is? Civilian 1992-2000 Police 1995-2000
                    (The 92-1995 make an abs/non-abs callout, non-abs is the same boosters as shown in the attachment for the 96 & 98 years)
                    Click image for larger version Name:	boosters.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.8 KB ID:	1390635
                    The police booster is supposed to be 223mm in diameter as opposed to the 221mm diameter the retails one were, but now it's showing both are the same size on RockAuto. That doesn't make any sense because there would be no reason to differentiate the two.

I know the '92-'95 ABS boosters use metric studs with a different spacing between the two compared to the '92-'95 non-ABS and '96-'00 boosters which share the same stud thread and width as the '79-'91 boosters.

My Cars:
                    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

My understanding was also that it had to do with the stud spacing, but hadn't heard of a size difference. Can't imagine an extra 2mm would be enough to make any real difference. I honestly was not aware there was a different part used on police cars.

I thought after the mid 90s the master cylinder was also the same ABS vs non-ABS. I know the early 90s ones were different.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Interesting. Always something new to learn with these panthers.

Comment

I finally got some time to mess with it. I swapped out the check valve and they still act the same. Sometimes when coming to a stop I have a good pedal. Sometimes it’ll sink to the floor. I’m going to replace the master cylinder anyway as it is original. I hate throwing money at a problem so I might mess with it more tomorrow when I have some daylight. I’ve been trying to diagnose an issue with the ac so another thread will be made on that.

Comment

If you're in for the master, do the booster as well. Then you will only have to open the brake lines once.

Comment

That’s probably what I’m going to end up doing. I’m convinced it’s the master. Getting in it again last night and today the brake pedal is almost always spongy and will sink with normal pressure.

Comment

Working...
                              X