Boxed Lower Control Arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boxed Lower Control Arms

I did a search, and found a bunch of posts about boxing the lower control arms and how it helps "in theory", but couldnt find anything about someone stating a noticeable benefit in handling. Anyone who has done it- is it worth it? Does it help, and in what way?

Thanks!
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

I did, with the plates i designed a long while ago. For my 84 wagon. Do they make any significant improvement in my handling? I couldn't tell you since I made no A to B comparison. I rebuilt the entirety of the suspension all at once; all steering consumables, ball joints, ES poly bushings front and rear, speedway 925/225 coils, new kyb shocks, 16" wheels and new tires. Would it cost me a second lap time lacking the freedom of a full heim-joint triangulated 4-link everyone demands when this subject arises? Probably... Will it rip the mounts out of a healthy frame because of some torsion bar bind effect? Probably not...
    Last edited by JeffBoudah; 08-31-2023, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Oh yes! I knew someone on here made pieces to weld in. I forgot it was you. I have a feeling a Panhard bar would make for more of a difference than just boxing them, but after I install that I might try boxing them for a comparison to see what happens.

I don’t suppose you have any of those metal pieces left?
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

A panhard bar is not really compatible with a triangulated 4-link. That triangulation wont let the rear end cycle in an arc, up and down. Parallel 4-link they can be used.

I think I have a set or two left in the barn. PM me.

Comment

Working...
        X