aero rear end in a box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aero rear end in a box?

the previous owner of my car went offroad a time or two I think (unintentionally) and bent a few things, anyway. I had a 92 Lincoln in highschool and remember it had rear discs, can I just grab one of those from a scrap yard and chuck it in to simultaneously get rid of the bent shock mounts and upgrade to rear disks?

Ouch, yes you can. 92-97 I believe will be a direct bolt on. Later (i believe 95+) has a slightly different brake design and has a better pad selection. They are also wider, but won't cause any issues, just make the rear wheels stick out a bit more (in a good way).
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Do you mean the whole rear axle? Because that won't fit, the later panther bodies have a longitudinal 4-link with a watts link. Boxes are triangulated 4-link.
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
        Do you mean the whole rear axle? Because that won't fit, the later panther bodies have a longitudinal 4-link with a watts link. Boxes are triangulated 4-link.
        Aeros are triangulated 4 link as well.
        The rear swaybar mounts differently on the Aeros than a Box.
        But if you reuse your control arms it should fit fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
          Ouch, yes you can. 92-97 I believe will be a direct bolt on. Later (i believe 95+) has a slightly different brake design and has a better pad selection. They are also wider, but won't cause any issues, just make the rear wheels stick out a bit more (in a good way).
          How much wider? Like 3/4" or like 2"?​

Originally posted by massacre View Post

Aeros are triangulated 4 link as well.
          The rear swaybar mounts differently on the Aeros than a Box.
          But if you reuse your control arms it should fit fine.
          reuse which control arms, the ones from the aero Lincoln I'm gonna be looking for?

Comment

Yeah 92 to 97 bolts right up. I was able to throw one under my 82 no problem.
            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

You can use brake setups right thru 11 if the doner axle housing needs new brakes. The wider rears started in 91 IIRC when still box bodies. The wider rears look subtly better under a box. Need to gut the drum brake pressure retention valve if you switch to disks, NBD.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

the axle will bolt up , but the parking brake cable will be different and the brake lines may need adapter fittings to mate up with the older lines on the car. Keep that in mind as you'll need to possibly adapt a couple of things. All the majors will bolt right up though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                  Need to gut the drum brake pressure retention valve if you switch to disks, NBD.
                  I have no expertise with drums, is that something in the master cylinder or one of the lines?​

Originally posted by sly View Post
                  the axle will bolt up , but the parking brake cable will be different and the brake lines may need adapter fittings to mate up with the older lines on the car. Keep that in mind as you'll need to possibly adapt a couple of things. All the majors will bolt right up though.
                  Gotcha. I wasn't planning on making the e brake work. Won't need it for what I'm doing

Comment

change the master cylinder and the prop valve to one from an early 90s car. Change the booster while you're at it, the later one is a better design and gives better brake feel.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think it’s 1” wider total? Or maybe it’s 1” wider on each side… i forget
                      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

There are numerous details to make it all work possibly including a different driveshaft or pinion or an adapter universal.
                        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

use the later drive shaft, might have to use the goofy U joint up front but it will give you the proper rear flange. I don't remember if the slip yokes are different or not.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

with the early aeros (aode) the slip yoke fits the same, but use the box yoke. The two piece balancer yoke falls apart... use the AOD yoke.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'm just gonna get a sonnax slip yoke, custom driveshaft and strange 8.8 pinion yoke, for what I'm gonna do, I don't have much faith in stock stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X