Centering Steering Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Centering Steering Wheel

Having finally gotten my car safetied and licensed, I am loving driving it.

To go it to pass safety, they needed to replace the steering gear box. It was in bad shape, so I was fine with that. Problem is that now the car drives straight (and centers itself) with the steering wheel turned about 45degrees clockwise. Which basically means that I can't see my guages, and it's really annoying.

They say that I need an alignment, which may be true, but it was perfectly straight when I took it in to them before they replaced the gearbox.

Is this something an alignment will fix, or is it more that I need to loosen the connection between the steering wheel and the gearbox, center the wheel and retighten it?

I don't want to get an alignment right now because I want to replace all my bushings, etc first. If I could fix the steering wheel a bit, I'd be real happy.

You must not have lined the steering shaft and input shat on the box up when you installed it. Should be able to unbolt the coupling and clock it correctly.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

THat's what I thought. I didn't do the gearbox. Had the shop do it. I'll never go back there, terrible service.

Comment

Now that's just pathetic. I'd take it back and mention that they didn't do the job properly.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

There is a flat on the coupler and on the input shaft and its supposed to slip together all nice and smooth. If its forced, the coupler will go on wrong, but its not supposed to be a matter of playing with it till the wheel is straight. I'd go back and tell them the wheel was straight before, and ask that they fix it.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hey! That could be dangerous couldn't it?
            YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Working...
            X