Will this tire size fit...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will this tire size fit...?

I am looking to put the tallest tire possible on the rear of my wagon in an attempt to get it higher in the air before the weight of my trailer takes affect. I have a set of 17" Mustang GT wheels and would like to try some 255/75r17's.....

Do you think they will fit without rubbing...?

uh, I would suggest CC819's or Caddy springs and air bags..
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Just replace the rear springs, it's cheaper and not that hard. All you should have to do is unbolt the lower shock bolt so the rear end can drop down more. And you should be able to simply pull the rear springs out and put new ones in.

Comment

255/75 is gonna rub like hell. 255/70-17 is as big as I would go and my car is lifted. I have those on the back now and have less than 1 inch of clearance between the front of the back fender and the tire and the back tire has hit my filler neck before.
        1989 Grand Marquis LS
        flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
          uh, I would suggest CC819's or Caddy springs and air bags..
          Originally posted by Blaze86Vic View Post
          Just replace the rear springs, it's cheaper and not that hard. All you should have to do is unbolt the lower shock bolt so the rear end can drop down more. And you should be able to simply pull the rear springs out and put new ones in.

I have done both plus added air shocks, I need to to sit higher before the weight brings it down.....

Originally posted by Southern_Pride View Post
          255/75 is gonna rub like hell. 255/70-17 is as big as I would go and my car is lifted. I have those on the back now and have less than 1 inch of clearance between the front of the back fender and the tire and the back tire has hit my filler neck before.
          I was worried about that, well I'll be looking for some 70 series then.....

Comment

Originally posted by Da Woody View Post
            I have done both plus added air shocks, I need to to sit higher before the weight brings it down.....

I was worried about that, well I'll be looking for some 70 series then.....

Sounds like the car is severely overloaded.

Comment

:stupid:

WTF are you hauling?

Comment

They should fit stock in the rear, assuming correct offset. But they probably will rub the top of the fenders on huge bumps and shit. Been along time since I had a stock height panther.
                1989 Grand Marquis LS
                flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

If you have the heavy duty springs and airshocks and still need more clearance so you can add more weight, then you're trying to haul more than the car is able to. Go buy a truck.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What exactly are you weighing it down with? If you replaced the springs with cargo coils and have air shocks with some air in them, you have to be putting a ton (quite litteraly) of weight on the rear. And you'd need an F350 to carry anything over 1500lbs.

If it's a trailer like you said then you are loading the trailer up with too much tung weight. A cargo coil setup with air shocks that have been pumped up a good bit should handle up to 600-700lb tung weight fine. And that would be a ridiculus tung weight for most trailers. My landlords 32' fully enclosed race trailer with 2 cars in it has a tung weight of only 1100lbs. He uses an F350 super duty.

Another thing to consider is if you are loading the trailer hitch up with that much weight, you are making the front end dangerously light.

Comment

As Blaze and everyone else stated, you are trying to tow too much. The frames are rather flimsy and cannot hold that much wieght. Get a truck frame and put the panther body on it.

And regardless, bigger tires won't help at all if the cars suspension is compressed to the bumpstops, they will rub no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic View Post
                        Another thing to consider is if you are loading the trailer hitch up with that much weight, you are making the front end dangerously light.
                        Not to mention the dangers of putting that much strain on the drivetrain, cooling system, and brakes.

Comment

Ive pulled 8000 lbs with mine just to see if I could. Not safe at all. And with my stock wagon springs and no airshocks I can put 1000lbs in the trunk and back seat and not bottom out.
                          1989 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Never mind the spring or airshock upgrades, what's this with people putting 70-plus-series 17" tires on things? The size you mentioned figures up pretty close to a 33x10.0R17; that's asking for rubbing problems no matter what, not to mention costing close to 200 bucks apiece!
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Like I said 255/70-17 max. Ive always been the one who tried the huge ass tires though. I like em. They fill up the fender.
                              1989 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Working...
                              X