K Code Axle & Lincoln Limo pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K Code Axle & Lincoln Limo pics

Well I went back to a junkyard that I thought had a 90-91 police car, but I could not find it. What I did find was a K code axle that was currently in an 88 Lincoln limo. So for $108.25 I am now the owner of a K code rear axle.

nice! did you have to pull it ypurself for that price........pull it apart and check the axle spline count before you install it......they are supposed to be 31 spline axles

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yes, for $108.25 I pulled it myself, for the junkyard to torch cut it out would have been $135.31. It took about 1.5 hours but I got the upper arms for free, so I'm happy. Plus I’ll have a limo rear axle

Those rear coils for the limo seemed heavy duty; you can see them in the 1st pic. Maybe I should have got those coils and the long drive shaft just to hang on my shop wall as a trophy???

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
        nice! did you have to pull it ypurself for that price........pull it apart and check the axle spline count before you install it......they are supposed to be 31 spline axles
        Most boxes have 28 splines? Right? But the Box Limo may have 31 splines?????? I was happy with a K code, but if it does have more splines that will be a nice bonus. When I do disassemble the axle for a rebuilt I will let you all know what mine has.

Any other parts off a Box Limo I should get??? I didn’t even think to look at the front sway bar.

More PICS

Comment

damm........my yard torches em out for less than half that

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

damm........my yard torches em out for less than half that
            Do they have a limo?

Comment

yes 3 of them

Comment

What is the bolt spacing on the pinion flange for the yoke to bolt to. I'm on the hunt for a k-code, but I wanna see if my aluminum d-shaft is gonna work with one.
                sigpicVic Videos Here http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...676#post243676
                Vic's Reader's Rides Page http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=16917
                Vic's Cardomain page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2532949
                1975 Chevy C-10 Cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3371894

Comment

Originally posted by 91LTDProject View Post
                  What is the bolt spacing on the pinion flange for the yoke to bolt to. I'm on the hunt for a k-code, but I wanna see if my aluminum d-shaft is gonna work with one.
                  you can swap the flanges mang.......k codes usually have the larger flange

Comment

yes 3 of them
                    Sweet, do you know what axle code they are? Did they all come with a HD K code standard?

Comment

Originally posted by 89mercury View Post
                      Sweet, do you know what axle code they are? Did they all come with a HD K code standard?
                      all the limos i've seen are a k code, and they supposedly had drum brakes up to 98 or 99.......the one i got for gmgt came from a 94 town car limo.......car even had 4 wheel abs with the drum brakes via exciter rings that slipped over the axle flange before the drum goes on

Comment

The aluiminum shaft is the HD one, and should have the larger flange...Since it's used on the tow package cars, which are the ones equipped with the K codes...
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I never confirmed with Ned if the pre 92 cars had 31 spline. to my knowledge only 92 up cars with the limo prep package got the 31 spline axles. the limo prep package is the key for the good parts. some conversion companies didnt order the prep package so the car would get normal stuff.

I doubt this rear end has 31 splines since it has the smaller 10" rear drums. I would strongly recommend you open the diff and rebuild the limited slip, adding a truck "S" spring will also help. you should be able to count the splines once you get it open.

the K code rear scott and I pulled out of the 84 town car also has small (10") rear drums and the small pinion flange.
                          2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                          89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                          88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

nice your yard has carts cool these pics should also be in the forgoten panthers section

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                            302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                            k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

This axle has 11" drums.

Limo, Wagon, Police = 11" drum

Comment

Working...
                              X