Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocks

The stickies are very informative in reference to great performance information. Any interchange information on other year/makes/models of shocks that will fit my below listed vehicle. Im gona have new stock (wagon) springs in front with poly everything and a stock wagon swaybar. Im looking for performance shocks I can get off the shelf at NAPA or PEP-boys. I dont want anything thats too crazy or for racing. My goal is a better handling street car that hits the drag track on occation. I dont want it to drive like a grandma car, but I stil;l want a somewhat smooth ride. Any advice in reference to my application?
    Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
    Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
    Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
    Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
    sigpic

KYB GR-2, for a 1991 Crown Vic Cop car. 351W.

These are my choice
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Im running koni's in the rear for fox body mustang without quad shocks. Front I still havent decided what to try. The koni's do have adjustable rebound, but are somewhat pricey. Id say my car rides smooth.
      1989 Grand Marquis LS
      flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

i switched to Edelbrock IAS shocks. very smooth, but firm. they open up on rough roads to become even smoother, very stable on my 90
        What happened here?

Comment

I'm pretty happy with my GR2 shocks on the Lincoln. Stiff enough to feel sporty, but smooth enough to drive 800 miles on the highway with. I am using stock front springs though, 391 in/lb.

I don't think they'd be ideal with stiffer springs though, probably not valved heavy enough. The limo or police shocks may be better suited but I have no experience with this setup. I can tell you that the GR2 shocks on my Chevy S10 are not nearly firm enough, and it has stock 707 in/lb springs, roughly double the stock box spring rate. The front end bounces too much with the GR2 shocks.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I love my Edelbrock IAS's and would reccomend them to anyone. Rides smoother than factory on the highway, yet lets me take some hard turns.
            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Anyone know anything about "FRONT" coil over shocks????? If so, let me know.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 82LTDQS View Post
                Anyone know anything about "FRONT" coil over shocks????? If so, let me know.
                i think that front coil over shocks for the 67-69 Camaro MIGHT work. but i dont have the funding to try that out.
                http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I figure it would be an easy way of slightly increasing the spring rate with out changing the spring. i just purchased OEM (wagon 443LBS) springs for my car. I didnt want them to be too soft but not hard either. I cant find anything online, but I know you guys have done some pretty cool stuff to your cars, so I thought I would ask.
                  sigpic

Comment

i just replaced mine a few weeks ago with monroe sensa-tracs. at first i was a bit disapointed, the ride was almost too soft but still tons better than the worn out ones i replaced. the ride does firm up a lot when you start really compressing the shocks. by the way, that top nut on the rear shocks was a beeotch.
                    '88 Colony Park, white with wood grain contact paper, K code axle, hose pliers on heater hoses, factory duals, big plans in the future...

'83 Toyota 4x4, 31x10.50 15, could use a new carb, custom humidifying holes in the roof, mud based paint...

Comment

Cool sounds good. You guys have never steered me wrong. Are they coil overs???? I was hoping I could get some for the front??? If that even exists.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X