transmission mount. polyurithan. 1980 AOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

transmission mount. polyurithan. 1980 AOD

hey guys. i have searched the site as best i can. so sorry if i missed it.
    but i need a polyurethane transmission mount that has interlocking design encase of separation. its for my 1980 mark vi with the 351 and aod.
    my stock mount measures top holes 5 9/16s. bottom studs 2 13/16 at 2 1/8 tall. the Ford one from ES looks like it would work but the stud measurement is off from mine. maybe im missing something, IDK.
    any leads?

I used the ES one from my mustang and egged out the crossmember to use the single center bolt on the ES mount. The bolt spacing on the crossmember side is different than the stang for some wierd reason.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

What he said. Just drill the crossmember a bit so the studs on the bottom line up. Transmission side its the same.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

okay, just noticed. the only ford mount they show is 2 5/8. my stock mount is 2 1/8.

Comment

the mustang es trans mount works fine

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
            the mustang es trans mount works fine
            pardon me for being difficult. but how is a 5/8 difference okay? i tend to over think and not want different or change.

im close to ordering one from autofab and dropping the mount point on my trans crossmember to make up for the 3/4 difference in height.

Comment

it fucking fits and it works fine......been in my car 4 years.....if the part fits, install it

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                it fucking fits and it works fine......been in my car 4 years.....if the part fits, install it
                hey, im not trying to be a dick here. just like to understand and examine stuff before i do it. my engine mounts are not stock and neither is my suspension. so im trying to take care and keep things close to where they need to be such as pinion angles.
                sorry if i came off abrasive.

Comment

Did you measure the old stock mount or a new replacment to check? 1/2" change between a new and dead mount is entirely possible.

2 5/8" - 2 1/8" = 4/8 difference = 1/2"

Also are you reinstalling the rubber inthe trans crossmember ends? that would make up damn near 1/2" also.

And finally, the stock crossmember is very flimsy, a new custom one would be stronger and could be made to your specifictions to keep the angles within reason.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                    Did you measure the old stock mount or a new replacment to check? 1/2" change between a new and dead mount is entirely possible.

2 5/8" - 2 1/8" = 4/8 difference = 1/2"

Also are you reinstalling the rubber inthe trans crossmember ends? that would make up damn near 1/2" also.

And finally, the stock crossmember is very flimsy, a new custom one would be stronger and could be made to your specifictions to keep the angles within reason.
                    no, i measured the old mount. how ever it looks to be in great shape. 50,000 miles on the car, driven my an old couple to baseball games.
                    i was snooping around yearOne and they say the ES mount is taller than stock ones and needs to be shimmed down via the cross member. so between that and you i just realized i could do that.
                    im also looking into the prothane 6-1605 mount. but NO ONE IN THE WORLD KNOWS ITS MEASUREMENTS! but looks to be shorter and wider studs.
                    i didnt want to do much more fabing because i just want it together, but it might come to that...building a crossmember.
                    i also missed measured the height of the stocker. its more like 2 1/16

Comment

Regardless of milage, it still is how many decades old? With constant wieght on it. And rubber.

Anyway, bolting the crossmember down without the rubber should get you what you need. You could also bolt the crossmember up to the mounts, as long as you put a nice big rectangular washer to support the crossmember

Comment

well i got the prothane mount. bolt holes and studs drop right in. no modding there. its just a bit shorter 3/8s or so. so ill just cut a spaced plate and wolla im happy.

Comment

So the Prothane part is shorter than the ES part, and the bottom studs line up perfectly with the original trans crossmember? Whats the price like on that, and do you have a part number ?
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            So the Prothane part is shorter than the ES part, and the bottom studs line up perfectly with the original trans crossmember? Whats the price like on that, and do you have a part number ?
                            yes its shorter and drops right into the original places. part# 6-1605 ford trans mount 65-73 mustang.

Comment

hmph, C4 has the same bolt spacing then. Interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X