HELP! installing rear shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! installing rear shocks

ok, i have a 91 box marquis and some KYB f150 shocks.

how does one mount the lower end of the shock to that damn bracket?
    -push the metal bushing completely out of the unit, or halfway out to act as a spacer?
    -do i need a new bolt, bigger, or smaller?
    -what else do i need to buy or do... shocks didn't come with any lower hardware or the rubber washers that were on each side of the stock shocks lower mounting area?

my car is apart rite now and has about a day until it has to be going so any help in detail would be much appreciated, thanks.
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

I'm not exactly the resident shock guy, but I keep reading about a metal bushing that must be removed from the F-150 shocks. Sounds like you've found it, and then I assume you can reuse your old bolts and call it good.

Suspension, Chassis, Drivetrain, Brakes. Everything to do with handling. Also includes transmission discussions.

Don't know offhand where to find a good picture, though.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

-if i get a new bolt and washers, do i need the rubber on each side of the shock mounting faces...or can i bolt the new one up without(and with washers instead), and if i need to get them just go to a parts store?
      -and when i take out the bushing in the new truck shock the bolt will be smaller than the hole in the rubber so would drilling the metal bushing out to size work better than removing it? ...cuz its really in there to. (last pic shows how close the bolt is in size to the metal bushing hole in the new shock)
      thanks a ton, andy
      [IMG][/IMG]
      [IMG][/IMG]
      [IMG][/IMG]
      Last edited by merc91; 04-15-2009, 08:02 AM.
      HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

new shocks didnt come with hardware?

No need to remove the metal sleeve, its supposed to be there.
        all you need is the correct size bolt/nut and some washers.
        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Eric, you are wrong.

The sleeve comes out, cantilever bolt goes in from the old shocks, or you can buy new ones.

Not rocket science.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I wonder if using mounting hardware for the F150 might not be an option. Just thinking out loud.

I also shoved the metal sleeve out. Its kind of a pain in the ass, but it fits nice once you're done.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I don't know how they mount, a correct size bolt with the proper spacing might work.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

ok all done. i bought two $7 super strong farm tractor use stainless bolts, stainless washers for spacers, and stainless lock nuts. i drilled out the metal shock sleeve just enough to fit the new stock size 1/2 bolt through, used some washers as shims and everything bolted up great and is working fine. she's got a nice rake now with them and the wagon cargo coils, and it actually can handle haha.

thanks guys, andy

Comment

Glad you got that worked out. Got pics of the new stance?
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

yeh it worked out good thanks.
                    pics comming soon... she's got a biggg rake haha, i love it!

Comment

Working...
                    X