possible bad caliper ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

possible bad caliper ?

so when I was going to work yesterday. I heard a grinding sound first I thought it was my rear getting real bad. So then the car locked up I looked at the front right side rotor and sure enough the inner side of the right rotor is all grind up. I had to tow the car back to my dealer. When I put it in drive then slightly touch the brake the front locks up.
    then when I put it in reverse it frees up. me and scott did the bbs 2 months ago everything is new. so do you think it is the caliper locking up or are the slides froze up? I'm not sure if I remembered to lube the slides it was a long night. thanks mangs
    Last edited by gabegt90; 07-13-2009, 03:34 PM.

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

turns out one of the caliper bracket bolts was missing so I got to order some new ones

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Bridge bolt came out? That sucks.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've had that happen. In my case it just made a bit of noise. In my uncle's case it wedged into the inside rim of the wheel on the highway and blew itself and the wheel apart.

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90 View Post
          turns out one of the caliper bracket bolts was missing so I got to order some new ones
          been there, done that... got the T-shirt

Blue locktite on the brake bolts... FTW
          2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
          89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
          88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

I had a caliper slide bolt vanish once. Found it when pulling into a rest stop in Ohio on my way to Chicago. Switched the bolt so the caliper couldn't possibly kick up and jam the wheel and continued on my way.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

must use loc-tite. that can be a scary thing, you got lucky. on the newer GM products it is essential to use high strength loctite or you WILL have a problem. i have gotten into the habit of using loctite for all bracket bolts.
              1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
              1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
              http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

Comment

Working...
              X