Suspension upgrade for the 84

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension upgrade for the 84

The suspension on my 84 is starting show its age. I am thinking about replacing springs and other older components liked the cracked rubber bushings. It doesnt squeak or anything, but they are pretty dry rotted.
    This is going to be a do it yourself job. Any suggestions on parts and tips would be appreciated.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
    Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

I just obtained a set of civilian upper control arms from Scott so that I can do the Energy Suspension bushing upgrade on my police model (cop models got solid upper control arm bushings). Oddly, the ES polyurethene bushings seem to be a good deal cheaper than stock rubber stuff - if I remember right, EnergySuspension.com sells a complete set of bushings (upper and lower, both sides) for about $65. The exact kit is for a '92 model, but guys a lot more knowledgeable about Vics than I'll ever be have used it on box-bodies with considerable success.

The part that scares me is that the car has to be aligned after the upper control arms have been off, and I've had a heck of a time in the past locating someone who actually knows how to align cars (some places seemed to actually make it worse!). Need to talk to the performance types in this area to find out who they go to.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

im personally an allignment tech, make sure the the printout is all in the green or within tolorence, and watch the whole time to make sure it has actually adjusted not by the tech moving the sensors, just the fact of them knowing you are standing behind them will make a difference, and dont let them tell you that only toe can be adjusted, if they say they cant do a camber or caster adjustment, tell them you want to know what shim kit or aftermarket part is needed to correct it. Also ask about a warranty, my shop offers a six month unlimited warranty, you can smash a curb and knock it out five months later and we have to reallign it at no charge to you

Comment

That's neat information - I'd never heard of a warranty on alignments! I don't suppose your shop is near Lansing?
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I've gotten the BS stories with alignments too. Its really annoying, especially when they feed me some line that I know is totally wrong. I've been told toe only adjustments, I've been told I needed parts that don't exist, I've been told the frame was bent and it couldn't be put to spec, and I once got "thats just how they are" when I complained about the car pulling after an alignment. I finally found a place locally that aligns things without the story, and the car drives properly when I get it back.

Anyway, back to the original question. Are you looking to really upgrade it, or just overhaul to stock specs? Lots of info in the big brake stickies if you're looking to go that route. The bushing information in that sticky will also work if you're keeping the stock control arms and brake setup. Spring info is also in the suspension stickies up top.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Im just looking to put it back to stock specs.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
            Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
            Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
            NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

Have a look through the stickies for info on the bushing part numbers and various spring options.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X