Driving Without Front Sway Bar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving Without Front Sway Bar?

Is it fatal to drive gingerly without the front sway bar for a few days? I want to clean up the frame and do the rust converter treatment before installing the wagon sway bar. My mom just does local driving now, so hopefully it won't be too bad. Thought I'd get you guys/gals opinion before doing this.

Packman

as long as you don't try to turn fast it shouldn't be a problem.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Yeah, it would just be my mom driving. She's not into auto-x'ing, but loves the 1/4 mile, so losing the sway bar for a few days shouldn't be a bad thing. Good. I'm going to start disassembling it later this morning.

Packman

Comment

If you drive without the swaybar, someone might die.

Comment

I drove for months without it hooked up before realizing it. Makes any turn over about 10 mph feel like the car is going to capsize, but otherwise it will drive.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You'll be fine. Just think, some cars didn't even come with them from the factory.
            1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
            1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
            1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Originally posted by murphmobile2 View Post
              You'll be fine. Just think, some cars didn't even come with them from the factory.

......and millions of people are now dead as a result.

Comment

Don't fuck around with your mothers life, fix it right.
                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpaslincoln View Post
                  Don't fuck around with your mothers life, fix it right.
                  Yeah, Jon was killed once as a result of driving a car without a sway bar....and look what happened to him!

Comment

It will handle more like a bowl of pudding instead of mashed potatoes.
                    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Safety 1st!
                      '79 Continental Town Car
                      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
                        It will handle more like a bowl of pudding instead of mashed potatoes.
                        Listen to him: He's vividly explained how far between both ends of the hardness spectrum your driving experience will differ if you dare drive without a swaybar! Everyone knows just how dense in molecular structure Mashed Potatoes is compared to the almost air-like Jello Instant Pudding! It's just like comparing diamonds to ass-created methane gas!!!

Pudding and Mashed Potatoes!

Death, Death, DEATH!!!!!
                        Last edited by Guest; 09-16-2009, 12:46 AM.

Comment

HOLY SHIT WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE

Comment

There is the fact that if your mom drives anything like my mom does (takes corners at 5mph or slower), she'll be just fine. Alternatively, just do the work during a time when the car won't be needed.
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                              There is the fact that if your mom drives anything like my mom does (takes corners at 5mph or slower), she'll be just fine. Alternatively, just do the work during a time when the car won't be needed.
                              Exactly.

Otherwise.....

Someone could F-ing Die!!! DIE!!! Die in a manner not really all that comfortable!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X