Shocks and springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocks and springs

Ok my back shocks and springs are good my dad changed them when he had the car. Now the front shocks and springs are not as good as the new ones they sound like they are giving out. Anybody know what are some really good shocks and springs that I can put on the front of the car?

It's an 1989 ltd crown vic lx

Not trying to be a dick, but check the stickies. They'll tell you all about the recommended shocks and springs for various ride heights and firmness levels.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I may have missed the pertinant sticky, but the spring stickies are sorely lacking in ride height information.

If I put wagon rear springs in my sedan, how much higher, if at all, is the rear going to sit?
      If I use P71 front springs with the wagon rear springs, is the car going to be level?

If I opt for CNG P71 rear springs, how do they compare to the wagon springs for ride height?

My contribution is that cc817's and 8652 springs sit at 27.5"fr and 27.75"rr measured from the bottom of the wheel arch through the centerline of the axle.

These need replacing badly and I want stiffer and preferably a higher stance (No lowering). So I'm guessing P71 fronts (Ford "N" springs) and Wagon rears (moog 8795). Anybody running this combination? Or should I look at P71 rears (Ford "E" springs) for a level front to rear vehicle. Somewhat raised rear is Okay. But don't want a stinkbug look either if the wagon springs are going to shoot the rear skyward.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by LTDMike View Post
        Ok my back shocks and springs are good my dad changed them when he had the car. Now the front shocks and springs are not as good as the new ones they sound like they are giving out. Anybody know what are some really good shocks and springs that I can put on the front of the car?

It's an 1989 ltd crown vic lx

Interesting. I would like to know what that sounds like.

I would also suggest doing a search. Tons of discussions on this matter.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I like my Gabriel Ultra front shocks. $20 each at VatoZone.

Springs don't really need replacing unless they're sagging badly or you really want a higher spring rate. If they're still at stock height, a slight height decrease and rate increase can be had by cutting them 1/4 to 1/2 coil and seeing how you like it.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Well they squeak alot and don't handle very well I figured since the back ones are new I should replace the front ones. What is a good brand of shocks would u guys recommend.

For an 89 crown vic sedan
            Thanks!!

Comment

A spring is a solid piece of metal......they can't "squeak". A lot of squeaking in the front is usually the lower ball joints and/or anti-sway bar bushings.

Comment

Yes, to Blaze86Vic you listen. Much knowledge of things springy has he. "When was the last time I greased my balljoints?" shall you ask yourself.

As for your question ...

Originally posted by LTDMike View Post
                What is a good brand of shocks would u guys recommend.
                look a couple posts back .....

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                I like my Gabriel Ultra front shocks. $20 each at VatoZone.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                X