4.11 Gears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4.11 Gears?

I found a set of 4.11 gears, new for $172.08, but they require a "notched cross pin shaft". What the hell is that? Another set I found was new Yukon gear sets, for $249.88. Has anyone here ever run these gears? They are for the Ford 8.8" axle from completeoffroad.com. This gear ratio holds some intrinsic value for me, just because in the song "Hot Rod Lincoln" (see username) he states he has 4.11 gears. Opinions?

"No other man-made device since the shields and lances of the ancient knights fulfills a man's ego like an automobile." -Sir William

2011 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited- Black on black, ADTR sway bars, 19" Mustang GT rims, Heinous rear control arms, dual exhaust with Flowmaster 10 series mufflers. MHS Stage 2 heads/cams, 80mm MAF, 75mm BBK throttle body, Accufab plenum, Stainless Works long tube headers, Ford Racing 24# injectors. ADTR T56 swap with Hurst shifter. 264HP/298TQ at the rear wheels.

it might be too low to drive on the highway, most people, myself included love having a 3.73 rear gear. good milage and decent power on the highway, not too high and not too low
    What happened here?

Comment

best song ever... Next to allan jackson's "Buy Me A Mercury" of course which i blast in my mercury. haha. However i'm going with 3.73's, I wouldn't mind a little top end speed to which will already be limited 25% less about, with the 2.73-3.73 change for me.
      Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
      HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

I did some math on this for myself, I'm thinkin of a gear change and can't beside between 4.10s and 3.73s.
        With a 295/50R15 rear tire(26.6 inches tall)
        4.10s. 80 mph in OD is 2765 rpm.
        3.73s 80 mph in OD,is 2515 rpm. So really there isn't too much difference. So I'm going to go with what ever I find first at a good price.
        sigpic

Comment

I'm running them in my 89 and love them. That being said, I have a 32" rear tire. With stock tire size I think it would be a different story. If not on the highway much go for it. I love being able to run around town in 3rd most of the time and not having to downshift after slowing down.
          1989 Grand Marquis LS
          flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

I had 4.10's in my 90 mustang with a 24'' tire and loved them, and at 65 it was at 2500 rpm with that tire height, if you have the stock tire height of 27'' youll be at 2200 rpm at 65 mph I would just go with 4.10's and not worry about it.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
            Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by merc91 View Post
              best song ever... Next to allan jackson's "Buy Me A Mercury" of course which i blast in my mercury. haha. However i'm going with 3.73's, I wouldn't mind a little top end speed to which will already be limited 25% less about, with the 2.73-3.73 change for me.
              The gearing only limits your theoretical top speed... the lack of power and aerodynamics impose the limits on these cars.

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
              I had 4.10's in my 90 mustang with a 24'' tire and loved them, and at 65 it was at 2500 rpm with that tire height, if you have the stock tire height of 27'' youll be at 2200 rpm at 65 mph I would just go with 4.10's and not worry about it.
              24" tire? that's 2" shorter than stock...Why?
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

hmmm let me double check, your right I are stupid haha 25.3''
                265/35/18 btw
                regardless though, still a big fan of the gears lol

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                Big plans

Comment

Working...
                X