Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement Tires??

Hi All,

Well, I'm at the point where I'll be needing new tires.
    My Cooper Lifeliners have > 75,000 miles on them, and I figure I'll need new ones by summer.

I notice however, that most manufacturers don't make 225/70 x 15" tires anymore; and even fewer make whitewalls (including Cooper!).

Does anyone have any recommendations?
    I presently run 225/70 X 15 WW on the original rims.

Thanks in advance.

yeah i had a hard time with mine , mine are bfg touring W/ white wall , i just sucked it up and went black wall since i had to replace 2
    sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
    87 mercury grand marquis
    88 crown vic lx
    89 mercury colony park ls (sold)
    89 mercury grand marquis (sold)
    00 ford crown vic lx hpp
    03 mercury marauder aka punisher (sold )

Comment

30+ to choose from here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...er=15&x=83&y=8

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post

Did that LOL.

Yeah, take out the truck tires and you're left with nine.
        Only one WW: Goodyear Infinity, which has the worst rating of all of them.

Comment

go for a blackwall tire.....cheaper and usually a better tire anyway

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
            go for a blackwall tire.....cheaper and usually a better tire anyway
            :lol:

Members here have had good things to say about the General Altimax and Firestone Indy 500's. Around here, a lot of folks have the Kumho KR21's and love them. I almost tried them out myself, but I haven't warmed up to tires made in China yet. A few members here are successfully running China specials on their cars however.

Comment

I once bought a set of tires for appearance reasons. The RWL tires that used to be on my truck. They were absolutely horrible. Anymore I buy tires based on ratings, performance, and price. If they happen to look the way I want, its a bonus but I'd really suggest not limiting yourself to just whitewalls, especially if the available ones are crap. RWL tires also tend to be crappy. Sucks because they look good, but I figure I can't see them from the driver's seat but I sure can feel them.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have 6 wheels and tires for sale Throw me an offer and maybe you get lucky..I will take into consideration that you would have to travel to get them.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Cheapo tires are ussually white wall. Milestar or nankang or some other no name is about all you got for choices. I ussually run what is free unless I suck it up for new rear tires that don't blow in the woods. Being broke sucks and I run oddball sizes.
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS
                  flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

I put Kumho Ecsta ASX's on the wife's Fusion. Won't EVER do that again. worst tire I ever owned. NO good in rain/snow (yeah they had the little m/s on them) only lasted 30,000 miles too.

Went with Continental Extreme Contact DWS this time. Can't say enough good about them. Was gonna get a set for the Ranger, but they only come in 16" or bigger.
                    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

The generic whitewall firestones on my car when I got it were terrible. You could spin them without trying. All I know is the next tires I get need to be RWL. Thinking of trying some firehawk Indy 500's.
                      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Yeah, take out the truck tires and you're left with nine.
                        Considering our cars only [weigh] a couple hundred pounds less than a truck of similar vintage, and have as good or better tow capabilities, truck tires don't seem so far out of line do they? =-)

Alex.
                        Last edited by GM_Guy; 01-10-2010, 12:49 PM.

Comment

P225 70r15s with ww option;

Cooper Trendsetter SE
                          Hankook Radial H714
                          Hankook Mileage Plus II H725
                          Mastercraft A/S IV
                          Dean Alpha 365
                          Runway Enduro 70
                          Toyo Extensa A/S
                          Cavalier & Medalist Cientra Plus

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                            Considering our cars only [weigh] a couple hundred pounds less than a truck of similar vintage, and have as good or better tow capabilities, truck tires don't seem so far out of line do they? =-)

Alex.
                            Ditto, sir, ditto.

Comment

I don't think turbines look bad at all with blackwall tires. Also--where do you live? Do you get more rain or more snow?

I'm a big believer in Michelin tires. I currently run Michelin Hydroedges 215/70/15.
                              http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....s&autoModClar=

Here in the glorious pacific northwest, we have tons of rain and almost no snow. I love these tires--Costco sells them and they have a fantastic warranty. They're fantastic in the rain--you can't inadvertently break them loose; you really have to try. I would highly recommend them. 90k warranty.

But they suck in the snow. I encounter snow less than once a year, so they're worth it.
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                              91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                              93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                              Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                              Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                              95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
                              X